Another Quickie

Previous topic - Next topic

kamakazieturtle

Just curious, anyway to load password protected compressed files. Like a .zip or .rar? This way I don't have one big folder full of images and other junk. Also is there a way to load images or other items from another folder? Such as loadsprite "folder\subfolder\sprite.bmp",0,0. Thanks in advance.

Quentin

do you know the "shoebox" you can use with your GLBasic programs?

see helpfile for command SETSHOEBOX. I think this is what you're looking for?

kamakazieturtle

I read through the help files description 40 times :S and I still can't comprehend it. I'm more hands on, so if someone has a quick example it would really help, and thanks Quentin for the help you've provided.

Kuron

Look at the Shoebox example in your samples directory.  It shows you how to load files from a Shoebox file.

kamakazieturtle

But how do I create the shoebox file?

AndyH

There's a link to the Shoebox application under Tools.  Just point it at the directory you want to shoebox up (just like zipping) and that's it.  Is recursive so will pack up all the subdirectories in there too.

Then just add a command at the top of you program ...

SETSHOEBOX "ShoeBox.sbx", ""

Where ShoeBox.sbx is the name of your file.  Take a look at the help file for details, but basically just load your sprites etc as normal and if they are found in the shoebox file (using the same path) then it will load it from there.

kamakazieturtle

Oh, no wonder, I thought I read something about that, but my link in the tools tab is gone so I had to make a new one. Thanks a lot everyone for the help, and especially the speed behind it. This is a very good forum.  :good:

Kuron

It is worth noting that many of your menu options in the IDE are only available if you have a project or a file loaded.

kamakazieturtle

I've seem to ran across another issue. Whenever I load my regular background, its about 4096x240. Everything goes smoothly but whenever I changed the background to the new one which is 8192x240. It stretches everything sideways and throws everything out of whack.  :S If anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated.  =D

Moru

isnt 4096 max?

kamakazieturtle

Quote from: Moru on 2008-Aug-17
isnt 4096 max?

Thank You, I didn't know this. I think I should be able to fix it.  =D

Moru

Are you making a side-scrolling game? If you are you might be better off creating small tiles instead, makes it much easier to program too.

kamakazieturtle

Quote from: Moru on 2008-Aug-17
Are you making a side-scrolling game? If you are you might be better off creating small tiles instead, makes it much easier to program too.

Why yes I am, but unfortunately I have no clue on how to use tiles. I've never been able to figure it out.

Moru

Search the web on it, there is even some on wikipedia I think. Just search for tile engine or similar :-) There is some on this board too, like the Mappy loader that loads tile-maps made in the Mappy editor. See my homepage :-)

The current version contains grafics from RPGMaker 2000 so I wouldn't use them in any game if I were you :-)

PeeJay

I also did a very simple example of using a tilemap at http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=1336.0 if you're not comfortable using Mappy
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity