GLBasic Apps

Previous topic - Next topic

hardyx

They are not runtimes like in the .Net or Java interpreters, they are libraries for graphics and multimedia like SDL. SDL calls DirectX in Windows and other libraries in other platforms. In many platforms SDL and some little libraries (gcc libs) are linked statically in the executable. The GLBasic code is converted to C++ and compiled, its real native code.

DirectX are not included in the executable because is a system library.

coder14

Quote from: TI-994A on 2012-Jun-02The SDL is a core and crucial component in GLBasic, which acts as an abstraction layer that facilitates the cross-platform support. However, this is not the same as the conventional "runtime" because the native code execution does not depend on it. It is a standardised library of media functions that calls the corresponding native function for the relevant platform.
Quote from: hardyx on 2012-Jun-03They are not runtimes like in the .Net or Java interpreters, they are libraries for graphics and multimedia like SDL. SDL calls DirectX in Windows and other libraries in other platforms.
OK guys. That part is clear now.

Quote from: TI-994A on 2012-Jun-02the source libraries could be integrated into the GLBasic IDE, to facilitate static linking of only the called functions
Quote from: hardyx on 2012-Jun-03In many platforms SDL and some little libraries (gcc libs) are linked statically in the executable.
If it is a static link like GCC libraries, why include the whole SDL library and not just the used functions like GCC libraries do? Only dynamic link will require the whole thing.

spacefractal

Not possible to split sdl up. It's still only around 1.5mb, so no reason to do that. If you don't want that, glbasic might not been the right choice. Sld is the charm of glbasic and it's cant been avoid.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

GLBasic uses SDL not on Windows (because of the file size). I think about doing that, though for a faster mainainance of the various plaftorms. (static linking then - noone has libSDL.dll on a windows PC).

okee

On Windows does SDL interface with direct x or opengl or is it it's own library
that bypasses Dx ?
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

spacefractal

Opengl.

I throught it used SDL as well for Windows. I think its would been more compatible with example Netbook laptops. So its could been idea as a "new" platform eventuelly (SDL Windows). Howover this is absoulut up to you if you want do that, if its would been easier to mainainance from various platforms. I think the end result is pretty same (dispite some SDL versiosn have issues with mouse, so been aware about it).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/