Transferring/sending Android .APK files

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anything relating to this, so...

I haven't got a specific Android device yet (I can use Pandora or TouchPad, but they are not dedicated), so I need some help with the transferring of compiled Android apps. to someone that does.

If I want to send/give a file to someone with an Android device for them to install for testing etc. do I need to send them just the .glbasic-release-unsigned.apk, or is it one of the other .APK files? Does it need any media folders etc. ?

I've seen how to install an .APK - http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/install-apk-files-on-android/   is this generally how others can install my glb app. ?

This is for testing only, and not to put on any market places.
I came. I saw. I played.

veketor

Hi Ian:
You only need to send the GLBasic-debug.apk (distribute/android/bin/GLBasic-debug.apk.), the *apk are like zipped folders that contains the media-folder among other things.
To install the apk in the android device, the key is that the phone/tablet/.. has activated accept apps from  uknown sources , I think it's located in settings> apps> unknown sources.
I've ever sent an email with the *. apk as an attachment, then downloaded in the phone, and install.
Also you can transfer it to the phone via usb and with a file manager on the phone (esfileexplorer for example), search and install the application.

Hope that helped.

Ian Price

Thanks for your very helpful reply veketor :)

I did assume that .APKs were as you stated, but as I haven't created a full .APK of anything other than "Hello World" I couldn't tell, size-wise. I'm just playing at the moment.

As for sending to a phone that's great info too. A pint awaits you if you're ever in my neck of the woods (although it also does for any GLB forum member).

Cheers :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

upload the apk to a server , download it with the testdevice but set the unknown sources before.
whats all  and works fine as veketor say

spacefractal

You should also install the ABD driver for your Android Device. Its can either been installing Samsung Kies, if its a Android, or using a official Android SDK (not that one included with glbasic).

1. With the above driver in mind, then installing should been works automatic trought glbasic under compiling, howover its might been quite unstable for some users (etc its hanging without doing anything).

2. If above not working. There is a possible to doing a bat file like this one to install throught USB (which was a bit more stable to uses). Im fell its a bit more stable (because its easier to tell when its fail):

Code (glbasic) Select

c:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"
adb.exe install -r "D:\Dokumenter\Programmer\Glbasic\GLBasic\Greedy_Mouse\distribute\Android\bin\glbasic-debug.apk"

Of course the abouve need changes path.

3. You can also uses a APK installer like this one (this one works pretty stable and good):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.potente.apk.installer

Here you can just copy the apk file to the download folder (example) and install using that app. This is ofte my last resort, which have works quite very nice.

- For all things you need to enable usb debugger (not sure named in english) as well installing with unknown source enabled on your android. This is what veketor told.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Cheers spacefractal, but I don't actually have any Android devices. This is for transferring to other people's devices, not my own. I don't have direct physical access to their devices - so it has to be via email/download etc.

I have (literally just) now got Android running on my Pandora, but I can't use a USB connection on that either. I also don't expect it to be as smooth or as fast as a dedicated device, but this is just a test to see if what I'm doing actually works at all.

Obviously once I know I can get something basic running, I will then invest in my own proper, dedicated device - then I'm sure your information will be invaluable :)
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

The option 3 can been used for any people, that don't require the USB driver and only unknown source is need to been enabled (even its can been a security issue).

Personly I would sign the code and send the release apk to public, but the debug one do also works outside glbasic too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

kanonet

If you have bluestacks running and compile for android your app gets automatically installed inside bluestacks so you can test your work and fast develop everything - of cause using a real device from time to time wont hurt.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Ian Price

I don't even know what bluestacks is! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

http://www.bluestacks.com/

No idea myself but looks like some sort of android emulator for windows. Could be useful if it's faster than that android sdk emulator...

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Moru on 2013-Apr-02
http://www.bluestacks.com/

No idea myself but looks like some sort of android emulator for windows. Could be useful if it's faster than that android sdk emulator...

I installed a game called "Hill Climb Racing" on bluestacks & it ran perfectly, only downside is no way of doing multi touch from what I can work out as uses mouse as your finger & only 1 mouse can run at a time on windows  :D. Might work with a touch enabled PC but don't have one to test it.

Full access to the Google Playstore & everything I have tried so far works without a hitch. Not really tried the Android SDK emulator that much as got fed up with its performance but that might have changed since I installed it around a year ago.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

spacefractal

its much better than the Android SDK emulator, which ran slow here and polyvectors was wrong all the place (but that was very long time ago). This one ran its perfectly, but howover only about 15-20fps, but still much better and is really useable.

Mightbeen Gernot should detect when this emulator is installed and then install directly to that when no devices is used?

So this is a good app testing emulator Ian :-D. If its works there, then its would works on other devices too.

Just a fun fact, the emulator have idenficed as product "gt-19100" and "Samsung" as manufactor.

PS. My next game diddent work, but might been a scaling issue or sort in the game, not the emulator.