iPad Mini launching this year?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Will GLB offer support for another format later this year? Will the iPad mini use existing resolutions? Will Apple make mega squillions selling it?

The answer is probably YES to all of those questions.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/apple/3344335/ipad-mini-launching-later-this-year/?cmpid=HTML-DN140312&olo=daily%20news

However, time will tell.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

I loved the bit "The reason we won't make a seven-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit a lower price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software". What a load of bollocks, is there any or much difference in the look & feel of an iPad & Iphone. I don't know a lot about them as don't own any of them & never will but don't they both run iOS??.

Am not sure also on the size of an iPhone screen but at a guess its less then 7" (or its a very big phone) & if it runs the same as an iPad then whats the problem running it on a 7" screen  :blink:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

hardyx

Is this confirmed? I really expecting a mini iPad version with lowest price. I think can be a revolution if Apple make this. I think this a direct attack to Samsung. =D

mentalthink

*love* Apple, only want money and money... only pass a year from iPad 2 to the 3... after somtime tell us Ipad 1 can´t develop whit XCode Release.?¿...

Another thing is this iPad... I think it´s better than 10", I think it´s too much bigger for most actions...
:giveup: :giveup:

bigsofty

Not so sure, I've got big hands, I think I would need an A4 sized tablet to be comfortable!  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

Realist more like. You and me both.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

The way I see it is that the world needs Apple.

Who bought GUI's to the masses, Who used USB & SCSI when the PC world was still Serial/Parallel & IDE, Same goes with Firewire. Who broke away from traditional boring beige computer cases, Who made portable MP3 players popular & same with Tablets & Touchscreen phones

Chances are Apple done all the above either in full or at least helped push the above technologies.

While I may not agree on their business strategies (or there extortionate prices) I do recognise what they have provided to the electronic age.

Also another good thing is while Apple may come out with some cool kit it opens the doors for others to make cheaper versions (not all of them as good but some are).

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

I don't resent or begrudge Apple for anything. A company that came back from the dead and now runs the world is obviously doing something right.

I think a mini iPad would be cool. I have a full size tablet and hoped that HP would have released their TouchPad Go, (7" too)) but they never did. A mini tablet machine with the specs and quality of an iPad, as well as compatibility with the full app range has got to be a very good thing.

But yeah, don't tell me Apple isn't doing it for the money. And who can blame them really.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Sorry if that sounded like it was aimed at you Ian but it wasn't meant to sound that way, was me just airing my views of Apple & not intended to be targeted at anyone.

7" tablets have there markets just like the 10" ones have & it is one that Apple is missing as they have the large area covered as well as the small with the the iPhone so it comes as no surprise if they released a 7".

It's hard to say if it is having no product in that 7" market or the extra revenue that may be their reasoning, but whatever it is I very much doubt they would lose out financially & at the end of the day they are a company that needs money to keep coming in to fund more wonderful gadgets  =D

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Kitty Hello

7" or 8" is a strange size. While I like the looks of them most, I think it's too big to carry around daily, and too small to use it as an ebook/web/video player.
Sometimes I wish the iPad was even a bit bigger, because for mobile stuff I have the phone.

Anyway - it will attract a lot more people, thus more possible customers for our stuff. I hate the mliking machine Apple becomes, but it's not that bad if I get a glass of fresh milk daily...

Ian Price

QuoteI hate the mliking machine Apple becomes, but it's not that bad if I get a glass of fresh milk daily...
Depends on who and what's being milked! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

hardyx

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Mar-15
7" or 8" is a strange size. While I like the looks of them most, I think it's too big to carry around daily, and too small to use it as an ebook/web/video player.
Most ebook readers including Sony, Kindle or Papyre have 6". The Samsung Galaxy Tab has 7.7 inches.

fuzzy70

I never thought I would see on a programming forum men talking about inches  :whistle:

Lee
- "These go to eleven."