Zomb'd - simple survival horror game.

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Retro Remakes are holding regular monthly mini-comps and this month's is based on zombies.

So here's what I came up with in a just a couple of hours -

Zomb'd

It's completely mouse controlled. Very retro. Very simple. Similar to the old Doctor Who Daleks game, but with guns!
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

pretty fun! reminds me of that zombie game on that ancient basic book, but with guns!

matchy

That's cool. I would be inclined to make something but I can't seem to find details about the comp, even though I did a RR game or two probably a decade ago.

Ian Price

It's not a proper competition - there are no prizes or anything. Just the knowledge that you created something specially within an allocated timeframe.

More details HERE
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

Thanks and I just feel like entering a simple comp so who cares about prizes?.  :O I've been playing the recent ludumdare games but never really entered so I hope to for the next one. ;)

BTW, I'll play Zomb'd later.

mentalthink

2 hours it's very very good, you have very good hand for make pixel art Ian...
I never participate in this challenges, the final idea it's will be more popular, can help to sell after games in another places... Sorry for this absurds question, but perhaps can be interesting participate sometimes in this events...

I love the player Ian, remenber me a bit to Freddy Hardest (80's games )

Ian Price

I remember Freddy Hardest. I had one of the games on the CPC.

The main character is based on a character I created years ago for a scrolling run & gun game. Sadly it was in Div Games Studio and I lost everything due to Div Arena (Div coding forum) going tits up without warning and several computer issues (my machine at the time became very unreliable and was at the workshop more often than in my home). :(

The basic game is pretty much all about array checking rather than collision testing, so all quick and easy stuff. The graphics took the most time and that wasn't too long.

The title (Zomb'd graphic and blood drip effect) I actually created a couple of years ago for a Pandora game I was working on with someone else but they left the scene completely. So I recycled it.

The control method in the final game is different to how I originally envisaged it as it was too clunky in practice (you had to click on the running man icon to set to "move mode" or the gun for "fire mode"). I streamlined that with the left and right buttons and it works much more fluidly. Balancing went through a few iterations too.

I've been a member of RR for over 15 years now and regularly pump out stuff purely for the site. The last mini-comp I entered a couple of months ago was a crap game competition - I created 12 or 13 games for that one.

The good thing about mini-comps is that the quality doesn't have to be great and the game doesn't have to last forever. Nobody expects masterpieces, but sometimes simple ideas can be expanded into something much bigger and better. I don't plan to do any more in Zomb'd as I achieved my aims. A lot more could be done, but I've done exactly what I set out to do. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

It's such an addictive game, lots of fun and frustratingly difficullt. Give thumbs up from the gang here, who had probably 100 goes with a score of 44/23. Machine gun rocks!

Ian Price

:)

The machine gun is great for clearing the way, but it's short lived fun - you run out of ammo too quickly and then hope that some turns up!
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

gaah, I was at 65/49 and a zombie spawned over me!! :rant:

it took me a while to figure I could shoot without having a zombie right by my side ;/

edit: 84/61...another zombie spawned on my feet! :D

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Ian Price

You've spent more time playing it than it took to develop it! Well done :D
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

It is fun, I could go on forever.

It interests me, similar to that old basic book game.
Feels like a base for a rogue like, something I plan to scratch someday.

It is also quite inspiring. Hard to play your game without thinking of things to add.

Ian Price

There were soooo many things I thought about adding but I felt the core game was spot on as it was.

I considered things like zombie bait ( to attract them to something else other than you) and exploding mines. Obstacles and people to rescue briefly popped into my head, but were just as quickly dismissed. Likewise a graphical background. I seriously considered multiple zombie types too.

About the only thing I didn't add that I wanted to was the zombies "dying" (I considered them exploding in gore or just fading - in the end I did neither).
I came. I saw. I played.