XBox One (aka XBox 720) revealed

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

I also heard that this xbox won´t be compatible with the xbox 360...oh god that really sucks.
My friends, who bought FIFA are raging that they won´t be able to play it and may have to re-buy it...really stupid.

fuzzy70

I cannot justify the cost of either of the next gen consoles for what will amount to less than half a dozen games that interest me, I don't even have a 360 or PS3 but instead have a Wii/PS2 & original Xbox  :D

I did have a few 360's (& I mean a few) which kept breaking down but they where early gen ones which where prone to problems. My ex-partner had both consoles & TBH if it wasn't for the 2nd hand game market I would not have been impressed with some of the games which while graphically brilliant lacked depth or longevity. Take the latest "Need for Speed Most Wanted", £60 at launch then you could get it for around £40 within an month at Tesco's/ASDA supermarkets. I got Tron Evolution 2nd hand (which was different to what I was expecting as the game was a 3rd person run around unlike the PSP version) & I completed it over the weekend. To me that does not warrant a £50-60 price tag, where something like FIFA/Forza etc have longevity & you feel like you are getting your moneys worth.

Basically it's the same with a lot of games in that you should read the reviews before purchasing if you are planning to buy a AAA game as to minimise the risk of spending top money on something that might be over quicker than it took to order it online & be delivered  :D

The Halo series was/is the only FPS game that I could get on with using a controller & I think that is down to a combination of my age & being brought up on Doom/Quake/Unreal etc using a keyboard/mouse combo (which in my mind is still a vastly superior control method for FSP games).

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

Agree with you fuzzy and specially with bigsofty opinions.

I have discussed such subjects with a friend today, an my opinion stands that MS, with its xbox360, is soo ahead on the console/game competition/market that they may try to elitize the whole deal on this new xbox one..that way the "competitors" will gain more users (for sure) and so they stabilize the market on an horizontal way.

If they do good or not, it is a tendency strike that they can afford to push.

I think these will actually open field to potential android/linux consoles.
It is hard to predict how people will react. The majority will always follow big streams, but somehow (and I´m in this next group), the whole new gen console means not much, but the game itself. I do push "indie" to my friends/family and so far we have all been enjoying good quality, long lasting games. Lots of fun+learning+thinking. I hate to think of a game as a passive thing...but I know a lot of people that take this medium as that. My brother has been the most hard person to convince otherwise, but nowadays, he even gifts me underdog games so we can have a quality net play. :)

bigsofty

Whoops, just noticed this is in the forum.  :-[

Well, I been reading up on some articles of the last few days and I am not sure this XBox is for me. Our family have been with the XBox 1(Original one?!? stupid name!) since it was released. A new XBox would be an automatic purchase in our household. We have a large library of games and a long-term sub of XBoxLive. But there are a few things that run me cold with this new box...

Always on microphone.
Can't use 360 games.
Can't use 2nd hand games without a fee.
The emphasis on TV services first(pay-per-view), games 2nd.

The actual full hour Microsoft introduced the new XBox only the last 5 minutes concerned gaming, the rest was TV services. It's technically weaker than the PS4 too. There are many other smaller niggles(looks! :P no game rentals, friends bringing around a game, no need for Kinect etc.) but those above are my main ones.

So I don't think this will be landing in our living room, not unless MS do a complete u-turn on most of what its said so far.

Bummer.  :'(

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

But wait! GTA5 is confirmed!

..ps hehe, extensive jokes, it won´t be a bad console, it just won´t be as good as it could be  :-[

Ian Price

I've had every major console by all manufacturers since the MD and SNES days. That includes MD and SNES (obviously), PS1, PS2, PS3, Saturn, DreamCast, Jaguar, GameCube, Wii, XBox, XBox360, Wii U. I love them all and I really enjoy the XBox360. However if what I've seen and read is true then the XBONE will be the first machine in 20+ years that I'll ignore. Some seemingly terrible decisions coming out of M$ this time around. They've always made some bad decisions, but these take the biscuit.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

I have read on various sites this so-called used game fee is £35, which is split between M$ and the publisher. How true this is i'm not sure but M$ being their typical self have not denied or confirmed this and apparently is doing damage control  :D . One classic comment I read was "So if I sold my Golf does that mean I will have to pay Volkswagen a fee".

No news on Sony's stance on this but I bet they are keeping a close eye on what happens & if they do follow suit then looks like a win scenario for Nintendo as they will be the only console manufacturer that doesn't have such a system in place.

Like you say Ian M$ have always made some bad decisions but this one will def not do them any favours.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

bigsofty

It may be the cynic in me but I actually think M$ will bring out the used-game fee as something inconsequential, say £2 to build up a general acclimatisation to this new tax, then over a longer period of time, when the user base has grown, they can raise it at will. I remember a few years back being totally astounded when the XBoxlive fee jumped up by 20% in one move.  :noggin:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

Tying a game to a console/owner I get & understand why they want to go down that route. You can still take the game & play it around a friends house but only if you log into your live account on their machine.

A small admin fee like £2 to allow the game to be unlocked & played around a friends house, while not ideal is better than the scheme that's currently being spread about.

I just resent the idea/thought of paying M$ & the publisher money for something that to all intents & purposes they have already been paid for.

Will be interesting what the EU courts have to say.

Lee

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

- "These go to eleven."

hardyx

"We have TV, and Sports, and Movies, and finally... some games".
:good:

erico

yep, pathetic. Maybe they want to focus on the tv front that android is getting without much of a money investment?
That is what I think, but then again, MS can´t live alone or they will have law troubles.

I saw a video a few days ago edited to show how many times ´TV´ was said.
Really ridiculous, but they push fronts with power.

For me, tv is going android. I don´t like android that much, but heck, comparing to the competitions, I can´t see it any other way.
I do with my pc+MS on that, but family won´t glup such, so android it may be. Heck, it may even be that it helps my Mom to fear smart phones a bit less and gives them the opportunity to do computer stuff (internet+text+presentations) on a big screen?

I like the era we are going through. :)

fuzzy70

Perhaps the M$ TV stuff was aimed at Apple & their "Apple TV" that's in development  :blink:

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

erico

Could it be? I don´t have much of an info on that, and so far, apple air and tv stuff seems to me like a no no.
It will also depend on the content provider. Netflix deliver some shows and stuff on a really bad quality, and so the local cables around here. The cheaper you go the worse the compression. But heck, I have been to movies theaters that they show pre-final copies at full price :(...

It is a hard guess on this front for me, but apple does not hold full quality delivers and neither all distribution channels, each has some and each is sponsoring proprietary productions. Really a hard guess. But on a cheap hits-everyone level, like an open net TV, Google can currently afford more.

CW

Control-freak Microsoft has decided to relax its grip somewhat on the upcoming X-Box systems in response to the public outcry over their proposed policies. First, the new X-Box systems will no longer be required to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours. Second, users will continue to be able to buy and sell second-hand software. I might actually consider buying the system now.  :good:

Story here: http://news.msn.com/science-technology/microsoft-changes-xbox-one-policies-after-outcry

-CW

Marmor

Sony is the winner .
Cheaper , faster , and much moore

Ok kinect is great but i dislike the controll for
How much ppls are in the room to pay
Annother price for looking films