Pegasus and the Phantom Riders

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Long time no see chaps?!
Gotta do a break from my TRS80 Color II (dragon) Basic game, it is quite a big project and I can´t let it burn me out.

So, time to do a quick GLB game, it will be a JOUST game, a mix between the game on title and Buzzard Bite, both from that same machine.
I will start by posting references, I´m confident you guys know JOUST, but Pegasus? here was me playing it live:

Buzzard Bite on the Dragon is more of a normal JOUST clone, but gameplay is better, controls and what not, here a general tube stuff:

erico

While I have being toying with the idea of a remake for decades, I can´t afford the time to add all I originally planned(like in Burger Lord), so I will go with a mix of them both but will shoot for the very core gameplay. Think of it as Buzzard into the world of Pegasus... we will be flying chickens but it will be on an advancing to an island mission kind of stuff.
Since I live in an island myself, one would think I have plenty of references :D

erico

Other than the GLB game itself, which should be sold for some bucks, I will release assets for a COCO 3 possible game on the COCO FB group, just won´t be coding that.
But am also working with Moru here from our community for a Maximite color 2 version (no charges). I will attempt a COCO 2 version with artifact colors and possibly a ZX spectrum and MSX version too, using MPAGD after.

But on a GLB version, one thing I would like to add is 3 player scheme, but anyways, here is the current WIP visuals.

bigsofty

Joust was one of my favourite arcade games!

Its a classic with some remarkable sophisticated physics for its day.

Good choice Erico!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

that is a nice idea. :-D
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

SnooPI

I confirm, it's a good idea, Joust was a very good game.
Its sequel, Joust 2, is less well known but seemed very good.
Maybe you could take some inspiration from it:

erico

Thanks chaps, here some mechanics testing

SnooPI

:D  Excellent!.. with three pixels you do crazy things... Erico Aka Pixelman  :good:

erico

Im tempted on either adding 1 or 2 more players to the current 3 or increase their sizes a bit :D

erico

More testing and other features

erico

MrPlow

Super stuff!!  :D

Those chickens are funny and look good flying - maybe add a similar joust baddie that appears over time...
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Thanks! yep there may be different baddies for sure!
I need to wrap the game around before working the enemies, that means intro, game, game over, back to intro, all levels in and all waves (with simple enemies) in.
I should get there today if no rabbits fall of my hat.

erico

Many rabbits fell of my hat :D
Not quite wrapped yet, but waves and stages advances, water from stages works now, and much (invisible stuff) works now ;)

SnooPI

:D :good:

As your TRS80 system uses very few pixels, I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to make a 3D version for display?
A bit like that:
https://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=11439.0

Maybe I could help you if you tell me what kind of 3D function you would need for this.