*** ERROR - Can't overwrite program. Is it still running?

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Hopefully Gernot will get Windows 7 at some point :)

Kitty Hello

MrTAToad

Nice :)

There isn't any real rush - although a program wont end when the debugger stop option isn't used (the program just hangs and you usually cant terminate with the Task Manager), closing the IDE does end the program

Kitty Hello

Oh - I *think* I had that on Vista right now, too.
How can I reproduce it, please?

MrTAToad

Quite simple really - create a program that runs in a loop (but has SHOWSCREEN in), compile and run in debug mode, and then try and stop it with Compiler -> Debugger -> Stop.

Steinbock

If i run only *.exe-file first from explorer and close it.
And then try to compile the project, the error occurs, even if the file was not run by IDE.
No difference if in debug mode or not.
As MrTAToad said, a loop with SHOWSCREEN.
Time will come. It's just a matter of time...

Cliff3D

I have now had this in Windows XP Pro running under Virtual PC 2007, although if I keep retrying to build it will eventually do so, but the length of timing between building one version and bulding the next can be...variable :(

MrTAToad

We think (especially on Windows 7) its how files are cached or something - trying to re-compile a file before Windows has marked that its not in use or something.

I haven't had the problem for ages now - no idea why...

I dont really use GLBasic under VirtualBox, so I dont know whether XP would exhibit the same problem...

MrTAToad

Another cause is when an anti-virus program decides to quarantine the program - ESET is starting with the false positives again...

Steinbock

Ok. i've found a solution and for me it works.  :)

In the filebrowser (windows explorer) move to the editor of GLBASIC (EditorE.exe).
Then right-click and select properties.
Select compatibility-tab.
Choose compatibilitymode for Windows XP (Servic Pack 2).

Hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time will come. It's just a matter of time...

ketil

Same thing happens with me on XP sp3 when i try to compile, but after 2-3 tries it compiles and runs fine.
It's almost as the program hangs until i try to compile it a couple of times, and then get released.
For me this error is periodically ...
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."