Global / Local variables

Previous topic - Next topic

Moru

When I declare a variable (by mistake) to have the same name both both local and global I get into problems with the compilers if the global is a type and the local is a bool. Example follows:

Code (glbasic) Select
// --------------------------------- //
// Project: Test14
// Start: Sunday, August 24, 2008
// IDE Version: 5.360

TYPE TEST
cd = 1
ENDTYPE

GLOBAL k AS TEST

WHILE TRUE
PRINT "Hello world", 50, 50
SHOWSCREEN
WEND

END

FUNCTION a:
LOCAL k

k = KEY(208)
ENDFUNCTION

Compiler output:
Wordcount:6 commands

compiling:
C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp0.cpp: In function `DGInt __GLBASIC__::a()':
C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp0.cpp:26: error: no match for 'operator=' in 'k = __GLBASIC__::KEY(2.08e+2)'
C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp_class.h:12: note: candidates are: __GLBASIC__::TEST& __GLBASIC__::TEST::operator=(const __GLBASIC__::TEST&)
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum
Elapsed: 0.5 sec. Time: 07:05
Build: 0 succeeded.
*** 1 FAILED ***

Schranz0r

Thats no bug!

Global you can use everywhere!
Local you can use in a loop/For-Next ect...

So, if you us a Global k as function and set a local k, the compiler returned an FATAL ERROR ;)
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Schranz0r

GLOBAL k AS TEST // Set "k" to Global, so you can use this "k" in a function. Its a "typehandle"!

If you use "k" for example with : PRINT k,10,10

You get a error! ;)

"k" exists over the whole project as "typehandle"!

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

that _is_ a bug. Because the local definition of "k" should have more priority. I'll try to investigate.

...ouch!
The compiler comes across a variable names "k" and finds, that k is of TYPE TEST, and makes the local variable of type TEST, too. Bad.

Schranz0r

->GLOBAL<- k AS TEST

@ Germot:

Das ist doch normal, das eine Globale über das ganze Projekt benutzt werden kann, also ist es kein Bug.
Weil wenn ich eine Global k = 10 mache , dann kann ich die in der Funktion auch benutzen..
Also ich denke das ist so schon OK!

PC:

Kitty Hello

Code (glbasic) Select

GLOBAL g=10

foo()
DEBUG g

FUNCTION foo:
LOCAL g
  g = 15
ENDFUNCTION

perfect code. output=10.

Moru

I'm perfectly aware that it works, Gernot. That is how I want it to work. The point is if you have a type with the same name as a bool it doesn't work... The program doesn't even run, the compiler stops you.

If this IS how you want it to work, I would expect a bit more helpfull error message, not just "post on the boards and get publicly humiliated in german"

Hemlos

explicitly specify works? ooops no it doesnt....the problem is in k...this fails too...
Code (glbasic) Select

TYPE TEST
c = TRUE
ENDTYPE

GLOBAL k AS TEST

PRINT ""+k,10,10

SHOWSCREEN
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Hatonastick

k or single letter variable names?

I only ask because I had some weirdness pop up while mucking about with types while trying something else out, and the variable names I was using were a, b, c etc. (Hmm I think I used k too :)).  Might have just been my bad code though.  Anyway I remember I got an error similar to the one Moru has quoted.

Kitty Hello

the problem is, that a global with a different TYPE already exists.

Hatonastick

[Edit]: Um never mind. :)