Possible bug with v5.222 and 3D Light demo.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Or it might be my computer.  Not sure now.  I've tried rebooting and all sorts but it still crashes after the Spotlight mode (during Bump Map maybe?).  I've never had a problem with this particular demo previous to the last update.  At least not that I remember.  The only information that Windows XP gives is that it's the Nvidia Open GL dll that is crashing (surprise :)).  Anyway after compiling, running and having Light crash - I can still compile and run all the other 3D demos without problems except the CelShading one.  That crashes instantly - but only if I've previously compiled, run and had crash the Light demo first.

Now here's the really odd bit.  If I delete the entire GLBasic demos/samples directory, then run GLBasic so that it asks me where I want to install all the samples, do that, then compile and run Light it works perfectly.  Once.  Then from then on it crashes every time in the same place.

Can someone with an ATI card and someone with a different Nvidia card to mine (NVidia GeForce 8600M GT) compile and run the Light demo and go through the different modes.  You might want to do this 2-3 times.  It might help work out whether the problem is my drivers/card or there is a small bug somewhere in GLBasic.

This one really has me scratching my head. :)

[Edit] Now I'm really confused.  I just ran Light.exe again then and it's worked fine every time.  I tried compiling it and then running - still worked.  This is starting to sound ominous for my PC, although I play games on it and don't have any problems (they might be directx only though) - maybe its to do with the OpenGL drivers my graphics card is using.  Starting to sound like a memory leak somewhere.  Something being overwritten that shouldn't be - but not every time and not necessarily by GLBasic as it might be the NVidia OpenGL driver itself.

Kitty Hello

Works on mine. Any others, please?

Hatonastick

Well it's highly intermittent.  Best results for a crash on my system seem to be rebooting, and then running Light.exe before compiling and running any other GLBasic program.  Very odd.  I'm leaning towards an issue with the OpenGL driver from NVidia for this model graphics card(might even be Dells fault - depends on what they alter from the main Nvidia source) at this point in time, unless someone with an ATI card (or non-NVidia) can replicate this. ie. not a problem in GLBasic.  I think there would have been reports before now if there was an issue with GLBasic when compiling and running  this demo.

I really wish the card manufacturers (and Microsoft, although we know why they don't) would take OpenGL a little more seriously than they seem to.

Ian Price

Works fine here - ATI Radeon 9800+ - I ran it 5 times.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Ok sounds like a card specific driver issue.  Thanks mate for testing it. :)  Have to hope Dell will release some updated drivers for mine then.  By the sounds of it, the current Dell drivers are more than a little way behind the official Nvidia driver releases.

So move along, nothing to see here. :)

AndyH

It runs fine here too. I have a DELL with a GeForce 7900 GS Go (Vista).  I found the drivers initially to be poor on XP, I went to DELL and got their standard and their 'uncertified' versions both were much better but the uncertified worked best.  Since I moved from XP to Vista, I've been using the official drivers which seem to have been very stable and not encountered any real problems.

Kitty Hello

Same here. The official NV dirvers shipped with MS Vista are excellent.

Hatonastick

I can only find one lot of drivers for my card unfortunately.  I only updated mine recently due to problems I had with an online game I play.  The update fixed those problems, but it looks like it broke something else along the way.  Anyway the crash doesn't occur all that often, so it's not a huge deal.  Just annoying more than worrying. :)