Limitations of GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

aonyn

Do go look at xors3d / ixors3d before deciding.
http://www.xors3d.com/

The wrappers already exist, well for xors it is almost.
BigSofty has a complete wrapper for ixors3d (iphone) posted on the forums here, and I am nearly done wrapping xors3d (windows).

Both xors3d and ixors3d are very powerful, and include physics, animation, etc.

Combine the simplicity of GLBasic with the middleware features of xors3d and you may have a viable solution.

BTW, I also use unity3d, not by choice, it is a paying gig and unity is the platform required.
I still prefer GLBasic. Unity forces you to code on top of an existing runtime, which at times is not convenient.
As a unity developer, you write scripts to handle the behaviors of entities within the unity runtime.
I personally would rather have control from the ground up.

regards,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Jean-Luc Skywalker

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm afraid I have some sudden and project-changing news, however.

I discussed these options with my friend, whom I'm making this game with, and he told me he felt he wouldn't be much use to the project at this point. He doesn't have the spare time he used to, and told me he felt better leaving the project than making me wait and wait for his contributions. I was disheartened to hear this, but I nonetheless have lost no interest in continuing to pursue the project, or a variant of it. He's given me his full permission to use any and all of the characters and concepts we've come up with, and has wished me luck. I will miss his creativity, but I nonetheless understand his predicament.

Project wise, what this means is that 3D just doesn't seem feasible anymore. Even with two people it was a stretch, but now it's nigh impossible. So, 2D it is.

This leads me to a new question, different from those I've asked so far:

Is there any easy way to implement 2D skeletal animation in GLBasic? Cinematics I could always resort to .AVI videos, but I would still like to use it in-game, if at all possible. I could do it in another program I suppose, then take frames from it, but I worry that it would look off in comparison to the cinematics, or off in general.  It would be much easier if there was a way to directly implemented it into the programming.

ketil

If you need al lot of different (but similiar) objects, oo is great, and i think that for complex games of this type GLBasic is not the tool to choose.

Don't get me wrong though, because i really love GLB  <3 and always use it for the less complex projects, but I live by the motto: Always choose the right tool for the right job.
In a lot of cases, GLB is just perfect, other times ... not.
You will understand as this as you go.

Then again, if this is your first project, and you don't have any former programming experience, GLB might just be perfect for you because it's WAY EASIER to learn and handle than ex. Airplay SDK and C++.

That said ... if I was to learn coding over again, i think i would go for an fully object oriented language first. It's not easy to learn object oriented thinking when you are used to procedural programming.
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."