Linux editor

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Unfortunately there are none that were actually in BASIC  :blink:

Kuron

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-23
Would you be able to get a (basic) Linux version of GPC going ?

Who are you asking?

MrTAToad

Kitty Hello

I'm here!!!
Yes, I'll make you a GPC for Linux. No big deal.

MrTAToad

Ah good - I want to see if I can at least get a script going to compile on Linux, for Linux :)

phaelax

I too would like to see something running on Linux.  I'd still consider myself inexperience with it, but I'm learning it quickly.

I have an IDE I wrote in Java, changing the keyword file for GLB would be simple. The only tricky part is linking it to the proper compiler. As for handling GLB project files, shouldn't be difficult.

Kitty Hello

read the gbap file with a text editor. It's pretty easy.
The gpc is explained in the manual. I'll help you if you need some info.
The "platform.ini" is a file that tells me how to link/compile the generated cpp files then. You can copy/paste the gcc line for linux and just adjust the paths. I'd do that hardcoded for a linux ide.

bigsofty

In the way of an early request, if possible, could this be made to run on other platforms from the initial design perspective? I think a cross-platform DDGUI based editor would be a great long-term asset for the GLB community as a whole.

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

Would be handy especially on a Windows CE machine - even if you cant compile anything...

trucidare

to compile for linux just call gcc -flags -defines -output -sourcefiles
much simpler than under windows because pre installed toolchain.

for cross tools gcc --target=wince or something else (require cross gcc for these platform))
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

MrTAToad

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Oct-21
Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Oct-20
... I think a cross-platform DDGUI based editor would be a great long-term asset for the GLB community as a whole...

DDGUI based software looks and feels too 'different' to get wide acceptance.   If DDGUI would offer a more native look and feel on each of the supported platforms, I'm with you...

Ocean
Plus, of course, DDgui would be too limiting...

bigsofty

I think it would e worth the effort, think of it, GLBasic on almost any platform. If Gernot says its easy to produce  the GPC then he may support more?

If not, then a nod towards cross-platform compatibility would be appreciated (modularise the Linux API calls for example) if open-source if the target.

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

Gernot has suggested a web-based editor, which would then call a small DOS routine.

I think a Java one would be the best, if its fast enough.

ketil

In my opinion, web based editors are only great in theory.
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."

Schranz0r

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Oct-21
I think a Java one would be the best, if its fast enough.

its fast enough!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard