Windows 8

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtunacan

If anyone is interested I installed GLBasic on my Windows 8 developer preview box.  Everything is working ok so far, but my existing game is running super slow.  This may be related to bad drivers though; I'm running on a Parallels VM under MacOSX.

matchy

So who's first to run a glb app on a Win8 tablet if it's possible to go backwards Win 32bit compatible as opposed to Win7 mobile?

I've installed fresh installed Win8dp 64bit and Nvidia drivers on my notebook and a glb runs fine is debug mode. The only issue was that the updater crashes just before the download starts.

spacefractal

Windows 7 Phone is still require C#, so glbasic cant port to that. But Windows 8 can run on a arm processor. I hope MS can run other than c# this time.

Etc glbasic could ported to Tablets Windows 8. Its would been great.

For Intel cpu's I guess its straight forward from all other Windows versions.

I guess opengl dont like Parallels and hence its run very slow? You should also test it on a real machine and not on a VM.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mrplant

Running slow is a known problem with Parallels at moment - everyone is awaiting an update to v7.
Meanwhile, yesterday VMware released VmWare Fusion 4 for the. Mac that runs win 8 very fast apparently...

Wait for update and maybe it should fix.

FutureCow

Has anyone upgraded to the Windows 8 production release and tried GLBasic / GLBasic apps on it??

mentalthink

Thanks for advice, I have plans to install windows 8, but if told under PDesktops runs bad, I leave my seven...

About the C# port, I put a post, on Windows mobile have a C++ Sdk, and then, don´t need to have a C# port...

I think now it´s finished the Sdk,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852363.aspx
o write Windows Store apps (only on Windows 8) using web technologies (such as HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript), native (C++), and managed (C#, Visual Basic) code; desktop applications that use the native (Win32/COM)

It´s nice... in Visual Basic can make applications too...  :blink: :blink: extrange, isn´t it?¿.

But I read Windows don´t have too much quote of market whit their Devices

Xaron

Is there a chance to get a Windows phone 8 target?

mentalthink

Hi Xaron, I don´t know if in a future we have this platform, but I ear about Windows don´t have any market... I don´t know if whit surface they win more market, but I think all the people it´s crazy whit the iPhone and Android Devices...

I´m not sure 100% about this, but don´t mind if the Boss think it´s a good market sure he make GLbasic compile for Phone 8...
Regards,

Xaron

Well I tend to disagree. I have 3 apps in the markets which are available for WP7, Android and iPhone and I can tell you that WP7 already rocks even though they have far less market share I have almost half of the sales there I have on Android and iPhone. What really helps there is that there aren't soo many apps so you can be found much easier.

I know that WP7 is a no go for GLBasic as it uses XNA and C# but WP8 is a total different horse with its C++ base.

mentalthink

Ok, Xanon then I´m wrong... I like to have this platform too, but we have to take in mind GLbasic it´s do for only one men... I suppose in a near future or in some time we have for phone 8... but I can´t say nothing sure... I only a simple user like all of us...

Regards, and sorry, then I read something wrong in the internet...

Ian Price

Fingers crossed that Win8 apps will be possble with GLB some time soon. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Darmakwolf

I was able to use GLB and compile programs on windows 8 64 bit on my desktop. I honestly don't care if it does or doesn't, though - I went back to windows 7 after really trying to like windows 8 for a while. It's a really horrid desktop OS. I'm sure it's okay on a tablet, but if I wanted a tablet OS I would buy a tablet OS - Windows 8 is just a mess!

Xaron

Windows 8 is great. At least I think it's the best OS M$ ever made.

Of course GLBasic works on Windows 8, my question was more if there ever be will a Windows Phone 8 target. ;)

fuzzy70

Quote from: Darmakwolf on 2012-Nov-02
I was able to use GLB and compile programs on windows 8 64 bit on my desktop. I honestly don't care if it does or doesn't, though - I went back to windows 7 after really trying to like windows 8 for a while. It's a really horrid desktop OS. I'm sure it's okay on a tablet, but if I wanted a tablet OS I would buy a tablet OS - Windows 8 is just a mess!

I have to agree. Windows 7 does everything I need & is solid as a rock. If a large portion of my apps REQUIRE & will only run on windows 8 then I will consider it. But to be honest the likelyhood of power apps I use like the adobe suite, Cinema4d, Lightwave, Sonar etc etc being windows 8 minimum
requirement are remote.

If windows 8 offered me something that would make my life a lot easier with the above apps I mentioned then different story, but as we know it's the app that dictates how it's used not the os.

Old saying "If it isn't broke don't mess with it" (or something along those lines lol) & at the present time my system ain't broke :)

Btw I am not saying windows 8 is bad, just not for me (& a lot of others from people I know)

Lee

P.s I prefer Linux but the above apps are not available on it :'(
Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

Well I´m happy for not buy some weeks ago, only 45€ but if it´s ugly... For me W7 it´s very very good, I think crashes more time the mac mini than mi PC for work :blink:

And it´s really, I don´t see any blue Screeshot in 2 years using every day...