Incredibuild does full build when main program modified

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureCow

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or just the way it has to work due to the compiling/linking process.

If you modify your main program source file but don't modify any other source files, Incredibuild does a full rebuild of your project (or at least, it doesn't mention that it's skipping any files and takes a bit longer to complete the build/link step)

Moru

Mine just randomly recompiles the whole thing whatever I do, I can be editing a small includefile and it still decides to recompile the whole project including DDGui, 3D entity and proportional fonts and so on.

MrTAToad

You are lucky - mine tends to skip modified files... :'(

FutureCow

I've found it a bit random too, but I couldn't reproduce it consistently enough to put in a proper bug report. The modifying of the main file "fails" every time.

I also found that if all you hit is the space bar (or backspace), the file is marked as modified, so F5 does a rebuild. However, Incredibuild then skips the file (I'm hoping it's noticing no change as opposed to skipping the files like you mention MrTAToad) and does a relink. It's a bit confused as to whether there's been changes or not  :S

Moru

If incredibuild is using the C output to determine if there was a change or not, I could imagine that it would skip recompile of a file where you just changed a space since this does not alter the code in any way (as long as it wasn't in a string that is ;-)

FutureCow

I thought something similar until I noticed in an earlier post about Incredibuild that it's doing a MD5 (from memory) of the file to see if it's changed - and a space would change the MD5 result.

That's not really important though, of more interest to me is to have it do an incremental build when you modify the primary file only.

MrTAToad

In my case, its probably not helped by my code being stored on a Ubuntu 9.1 EXT3 system :)

bigsofty

On the whole I am quite happy.

This is one thing I used to watch out for is that if you are using "Compile-Multiplatform"(Shift-F8), then make sure your Project Options/Platform Configuration matches your platform that you have chosen within "Compile-Multiplatform". Otherwise, sometimes changes in the code would not be reflected in the executable. I have to say though, that this has not happened in while.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

FutureCow

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Apr-20
same here.  I still need to toggle the debug button to ensure complete compilation.

I pretty much always compile in debug (though that may be saying something about my programming skills or lack thereof  :P ) so I haven't noticed any problems compililng in non-debug mode.