glbasic on iOS 4.2 beta 3

Previous topic - Next topic

djtoon

did anyone chk this?

i what to know if i sould upgrade my xcode

trucidare

dont create a new thread for every update apple releases. glbasic works since 2.2.1 so a beta update of 4.2 wouldnt break that.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

jaywat

I thought it was a perfectly valid question, especially since there ARE known issues with glbasic and IOS4. And I tend to find this community has a very short attention span when it comes to existing threads and issues, so it made sense to me to ask it in a new thread.

Any other questions we shouldn't ask? I wouldn't want to upset anyone...

ampos

Quote from: jaywat on 2010-Oct-13
Any other questions we shouldn't ask? I wouldn't want to upset anyone...

LOL
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

trucidare

the Problems are only there because features from iOS ported to glbasic without a device. the Developer team had only a iphone 3G to implement multitasking.

the engine itself works fine in ios4 no problems with it.

jaywat

Quote from: trucidare on 2010-Oct-13
the engine itself works fine in ios4 no problems with it.

Oh ok. So the issue that ALL GLBasic apps crash on exit under iOS4 before executing GLB_ON_QUIT on a multitasking compatible device is solved, is it? Because no one bothered to mention it in the bug thread. The last comment from a dev is August 26th saying "OK, I think I have a slight idea where the problem is now. I'll try to fix that soon. Next week at the latest.". And then nothing at all.

Which exactly illustrates makes my point about existing threads and issues, really.

If it is fixed, would have been kinda handy to know, since I've been waiting to update my broken apps since the launch of iOS4, while watching the bad reviews roll in and sales plummet.

Leginus

Rather than waiting to be told, you could maybe test it yourself once an update is posted,  and then perhaps inform others who are awaiting and answer.  Just a thought

The GLBasic community is one of the best communities I have had the pleasure of being a member of.  i have been in lots of development forums that are very sercretive and dont wish to share anything,this community is not like that and therefore deserve a little more credit

MrTAToad

QuoteOh ok. So the issue that ALL GLBasic apps crash on exit under iOS4 before executing GLB_ON_QUIT on a multitasking compatible device is solved, is it?
Gernot thinks he solved it quite a while ago, as per http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=4947.0

trucidare

Gernots iphone 4 recived yesterday with multitasking so all bugs could be solved yet.

multitasking is a feature of ios4 and crashes because no device for testing. no device -> no 100% bug fix. understand?

MrTAToad

That was quick - it was 2-3 day delivery time!

Kitty Hello

2 days. Dodn't see you yesterday. Thanks to the max.

jaywat

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Oct-13
QuoteOh ok. So the issue that ALL GLBasic apps crash on exit under iOS4 before executing GLB_ON_QUIT on a multitasking compatible device is solved, is it?
Gernot thinks he solved it quite a while ago, as per http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=4947.0

That thread relates to problems with the introduction of GLB_ON_PAUSE and GLB_ON_RESUME, as far as I can tell? Not really sure what the 'AUTOPAUSE' feature refers to. Nothing to do with the issue I posted about at length. If it is, it was way too subtle for me.

Kinda illustrates my point yet again. I've stated time and again that the introduction of these two functions DID NOT solve the original crash issue. They are two seperate issues: (a) fixing a bug that causes a crash on all multitasking devices, and (b) Adding capability to support multitasking.  If (a) WAS fixed, surely a ONE WORD post saying 'solved' in my bug report thread would have been the logical thing to do?

Quote from: Leginus on 2010-Oct-13
Rather than waiting to be told, you could maybe test it yourself once an update is posted,  and then perhaps inform others who are awaiting and answer.  Just a thought

Except I'm getting less and less inclined to use it for serious development, my problem with updating GLBasic is that it can often cause more problems than it fixes. So I'm extremely careful about whether I get the latest updates or not... especially when they come with an admission of no testing and Gernots own advice is to only use if you have to. "I had no real time to test all platforms, so please only update if you really experienced a bug. If others confirm it's OK, it might be safe. Sorry - but I'm really busy these days."

If I'd been aware of it being fixed, I'd have tested it and posted my findings. If you've ever read my bug reports, which you evidently haven't, you certainly can't accuse me of NOT thoroughly testing and writing up my findings. Thing is, no matter how detailed my writeup of symptoms or issues,  it's often painfully obvious from any responses that they're not even being read properly, so it feels like I'm wasting my time. Also, who are these "others who are awaiting and answer" that I have an obligation to? I wish I felt that ANYONE else here actually cared about any of the issues that are important to me. These people ought to perhaps speak up so it doesn't look like the issue is just affecting one person. Maybe it'll get looked into faster.

I'll refrain from commenting on the other part of your quote, as much as I'd like to state a few home truths.

Quote from: trucidare on 2010-Oct-14
multitasking is a feature of ios4 and crashes because no device for testing. no device -> no 100% bug fix. understand?

I think I understand, thank you, despite your somewhat mixed messages. You're saying that I can't realistically expect my apps not to crash on iOS4 and that Steve Jobs was completely correct about relying on 3rd party development platforms, yes?  :whistle:

I know. I'm beginning to see that myself  :doubt:

Kitty Hello

OK, I really was short on time the last few weeks. But I got my IP4 and I will fix the rest of the mutitasking ssues - if there are any.
If it crashes with the current update, I bet you are doing some graphics while you oughta pause, which is by design prohibited. A shame it crashes, though.

MrTAToad

Quote2 days. Dodn't see you yesterday. Thanks to the max
No problem!  Glad you got it quickly

QuoteThat thread relates to problems with the introduction of GLB_ON_PAUSE and GLB_ON_RESUME, as far as I can tell?
I had thought that was one of your problems :)

QuoteExcept I'm getting less and less inclined to use it for serious development, my problem with updating GLBasic is that it can often cause more problems than it fixes
You could always have two systems - one with some previous version, and with the latest version.

Once Gernot has got used to the iPhone 4 and has time, he'll hopefully be able to properly fix and test all detailed problems :)

Leginus

I dont seem to find the bug, unless I am missing the point.  my app is pausing correctly, and resuming.  it seems to be working for me.
My app has the following code at the begining

Code (glbasic) Select
ALLOWESCAPE FALSE
AUTOPAUSE TRUE

Mine orginally didnt have the ALLOWESCAPE which caused none of the functions to work, but now with it added, they all work fine.

I use the code posted in the forums which is the following

Code (glbasic) Select

SUB GLB_ON_PAUSE:
   isPaused%=TRUE
ENDSUB

SUB GLB_ON_RESUME:
   isPaused%=FALSE
ENDSUB