SpeccyJam Anyone?

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Hey quite nice!

Here I kind of like the 256x192 resolution as IIRC it the same as high res COCO resolution...so that resolution has a guaranteed spot on my heart. ;)

I wonder if someone didn´t do a photoshop action to get to the spectrum format...

spacefractal

Many C64 games used 160x200, and some used 320x200 (if border sprites was not used). Im have allways perfer C64 throught (due its excellent sid chip), but that is taste in mind. Yes, simulate limits from the old system could been fun with color clash and all. The color clash did have its own charm on Spectrum.

Also have planned a game which is designed to been in just around 96x64 resolution, a resolution which is somewhere similar to the Fairchild Channel F (which im will uses that palette too)..... Only one object might do subpixel movement, but still style of it.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

For inspiration, I think checking the "Retro Games Battle 2014" (zx spectrum) should be a good take.
Head over here:
http://retrogamesbattle.com/index.php?lng=eng

Those are nowadays zx spectrum coded games, and they truly strive in excellence!

PS:. The page has links to emulator web-set to run the entries and here I´m not sure this is allowed or legal, I don´t know the legal situation on spectrum emulation nowadays, so If I´m done something wrong, moderators please correct it.

MrPlow

Quote from: Wampus on 2014-Jul-24
The rules state the resolution must be 256x192. I would love to work with twice that! 256x192 is so small.

I played with it for a few minutes going back between photoshop and the tool. Produced this attempt at a Bruce Lee title screen:-

Love the screen tool!
Might use it!
:)
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

MrPlow

You wont believe it but I have a martial arts type game in mind...
some basic sprites etc.
I have a small little platform engine that I could try to develop on.

Color clash is a problem...my initial thoughts were to black-out all sprites and draw colour blocks behind the transparent parts to fake the color clash...but its a lot of work to do that.

Comp:

Kitty Hello

Draw on a sprite and do the colour clash with sprite2mem?
I don't know the detailed limitations of that colour thing....

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

erico

Swanky paint is now able to draw on zx and c64 restrictions and with proper color clash. Check it out. It may make your life easier on a full screen or base sprite artwork

okee

Most of last years games seem to have been developed in Unity
Also seems to be a random theme for every participant this year
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

MrPlow

I'll be representing GLB so...  =D

I hope the theme allows me some flexibility... I have a few graphic tiles ready to go.

Thanks Gernot, I will check out the Sprite2Mem option.
Comp:

spacefractal

Just do a monocrom game and ADD a color border/hud.

Also I'm do sure that color clash is not required to been simulated, even it's could been fun.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

You're correct SF

Color Clash is just a bonus. Rules are just limited colours and game screen res

As long as it looks Speccy  :booze:
Comp:

erico

Speccy gfx is such a hard thing on itself considering the color clash.
I tried to do a legal speccy GLB logo here, but it dosen´t look quite right, and it is a loooot of work!

EDIT: also, I can´t just go around drawing, I have to consider the clash grid so to proper compose something colorful...really tough stuff!

Kitty Hello

The attribute clash is as follows:
each 8x8 pixel block could only contain 2 colors from the 15 available, which must both be from either the BRIGHT or non-BRIGHT halves of the palette.

That should be easy to accomplish with mem2sprite.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

MrPlow

1st Draft of my Level 1 screen
(I've added speccy borders since)

Bruce Leap: Tower Rescue
Comp:

erico

Looking good!  :good: