Some questions before to buy :-)

Previous topic - Next topic

tictac

Hello,

I'm evaluating some tools to make a game.
Since I need to make a game, I wish some "objective" information to better understand if GLBasic is the right tool, or if is better that I look for other programs.
I tried to find these information in the forum and in the web, but it is hard to get definitive answers (I hope you could help me).
First of all, I want to say that I'm a programmer. I need to create a game with 2D top-view (not isometric, but with camera seen on top).
Basically I want to make a 2D application (with editor, and modding features, and implementing "newLisp - http://newlisp.org" as scripting language), but using 3D sprites (to better move, rotate and render the vehicles and other things).
Obviously, I know that something can be done, but I'm alone, so I hope I can do them without too much workload (I need some pre-made functionalities, just to speed-up my job).
So...

1) Can I create 2D tiled backgrounds with sprites in 3D? (real 3D sprites model over a 2D tiled background).
2) Can I implement a physic engine without too much workload (newton physics? ODE? Chipmunk 2d? or... ?)
3) Can I realize viewports (I need to get more "views" of the game in the same screen. For me a view is a "window" inside the game. Two views are like two camera working at the same time).
4) Can I work on a sprite canvas (or other images) in real time (to apply some special effects)?
5) Can I insert C code in the source code (like one do with assembler)?
6) Can I apply light effects in real time (like day-cycle)? Yes I know I'm talking about 2D game, but some nice light effects could be applied also. And can I realize a kind of shadows?
7) When I load an image, does it automatically go in the video card RAM, or I can manage that process manually (e.g.: I want to load some sprites in background, with a thread, then I "send" only needed images to the video card, after a CPU preprocessing and only when needed, just to avoid to fill video card memory).
8) Which direct X version use PB? (DX3? DX7? DX8? DX9?)

I know I made many questions, I'm sorry, but I really need such answers in order to avoid to spend many months with the wrong tool.

I found possible alternatives, but PB seems very good:
1) Pure Basic(but it seems more general application oriented, not much game oriented).
2) Blitzmax (but its development seems blocked, only updates are made).
3) I use Delphi in my official job, but I cannot find any good, updated library to make the games.
4) Play Basic seems not really compiled (I made some tests and the p-code seems slow).

Thank you to everyone for your patience!
-Alessandro

Kitty Hello

Quote from: ale870 on 2008-Jul-09
...but using 3D sprites (to better move, rotate and render the vehicles and other things).
You mean 2D sprites which you rotate (ROTOSPRITE command?), or real 3D models (meshes with texture). Both is possible.

1) Can I create 2D tiled backgrounds with sprites in 3D? (real 3D sprites model over a 2D tiled background).
2) Can I implement a physic engine without too much workload (newton physics? ODE? Chipmunk 2d? or... ?)
3) Can I realize viewports (I need to get more "views" of the game in the same screen. For me a view is a "window" inside the game. Two views are like two camera working at the same time).
4) Can I work on a sprite canvas (or other images) in real time (to apply some special effects)?
5) Can I insert C code in the source code (like one do with assembler)?
6) Can I apply light effects in real time (like day-cycle)? Yes I know I'm talking about 2D game, but some nice light effects could be applied also. And can I realize a kind of shadows?
7) When I load an image, does it automatically go in the video card RAM, or I can manage that process manually (e.g.: I want to load some sprites in background, with a thread, then I "send" only needed images to the video card, after a CPU preprocessing and only when needed, just to avoid to fill video card memory).
8) Which direct X version use PB? (DX3? DX7? DX8? DX9?)
1) Yes both. If you want 3D meshes, I suggest making the "2D" tiles with a 3D quad as well. Easier to handle, but your choice.
2) There's a Newton wrapper, yes.
3) Yep, see VIEWPORT command
4) Yes, but you might have to cheat a bit in order to get it fast. GETPIXEL e.g. is _slow_! You can render to a texture and you can use shaders. It's all there. Easy.
5) Yup, INLINE command.
6) Yes, all that. Shadows are really, really easy in GLBasic.
7) Yes.
8) What is PB? PureBasic? This is GLBasic. We're not using DirectX, but OpenGL for graphics. You'll see the advantage when you google for it.

1) Pure Basic(but it seems more general application oriented, not much game oriented).
2) Blitzmax (but its development seems blocked, only updates are made).
3) I use Delphi in my official job, but I cannot find any good, updated library to make the games.
4) Play Basic seems not really compiled (I made some tests and the p-code seems slow).

Take whatever fits you best. I suggest GLBasic, since I don't know what it would lack in comparison to the others (for games), but I know what GLBasic can do better/easier.

tictac

Thank you for the clarifications!

"PB" is PureBasic (I post similar questions in that forum in order to clarify my idea!!)

How is OpenGL in Windows Vista? I red a topic talking about specific drivers... have you any "official" information about GLBasic and Windows Vista (I don't like it, but many people use it!)

Sorry, one question more: about (1): can I use "quad" (If you want 3D meshes, I suggest making the "2D" tiles with a 3D quad as well. Easier to handle, but your choice.) to make big terrains (I need to make a BIG/HUGE area similar to GTA: San Andreas territory, but in 2D...).

Thank you again for your patience!!!
-Alessandro

Kitty Hello

OpenGL on Vista is no longer a problem. It used to be when it was Beta. I have Vista here.

Sure you can use a large tilemap with quad. Instead of "DRAWSPRITE" you just call X_MOVEMENT/X_DRAWOBJ for every tile you want to see. No big deal. That way you have your tiles limited to a certain visible range, too.

It's just, when you are drawing the tiles in 3D as well, you have features like: zoom/rotate map for free with no effort.

tictac

Ok, thank you!
You convinced me! I will buy GLBasic!
Thank you for your quick replies!

Ciao
-Alessandro

Schranz0r

i can't let it:

----> Good buy <------  :lol:

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard