Simple cross-platform text editor with encryption?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Hi guys, I'm pretty much pulling my hair out at the moment.  Trying to find a simple text editor that has a Windows and a Linux version, has encryption and can run from a USB stick.  Any suggestions?  There's tons and tons of little editors out there, but trying to find one that fits that criteria has been a nightmare!  Any help appreciated, thanks.

Edit:  Ok, I can't find anything that does exactly what I want.  I think I might write a little program in GLB.  Hopefully the Linux side of things doesn't require too many extra libs.  I might be able to get away with making it a console app, so that should cut things down somewhat.  This isn't going to be an editor, simply something that encrypts and decrypts a file -- only input will be asking for the password.  I'll use whatever text editor is on the system to actually edit the text version of the file.  Can't really think of any other way to do this that doesn't involve writing a full-on program.  Hmm...  How hard would it be to write a really simple text editor in GLB using DD-GUI or equivalent?
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Moru

I have not seen any editors with built-in encryption but there is plenty of tools that will encrypt a whole folder for you. I haven't really tried any except some old version of PGP but this one might work for you?

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/encrypt-your-private-dropbox-data-with.html

Hatonastick

Interesting that you should suggest that.  I hadn't thought of that until I stumbled upon a link for a tutorial which allows you to encrypt a USB for use on Windows and Linux using some free open source software called TrueCrypt.  I think I'm going to go with that option.  Saves me having to reinvent the wheel which I honestly don't have time for.  Thanks for your suggestion though Moru!

I'm sorry Moru, I'm an idiot!  Total comprehension failure (on my part).  Ok, forgot to mention I want it to not require an internet connection nor require software to actually be installed.  TrueCrypt isn't the solution I'm looking for.  So I'm back to looking for something I can shove on a USB stick with whatever data I want to keep.

The only other option is something I really didn't want to do and that is turn one of my portable devices into a portable data storage unit using a mobile version of Keepass or equivalent.  I've got an unused Galaxy Mini mobile phone, an iPod touch Generation 2 and I guess I could even use my current (albeit battery sapping) phone which is a Nokia E63 -- assuming theres software for it, I also have a Nokia C6.  I have other devices, these are just the only ones small enough to handle what I want.

Hmm wonder if anyone sells a portable password storage device.  Not a secure USB stick, but a device with a keyboard and screen.  I miss the old portable electronic organiser (with 32 bytes of RAM) days...

I have an insane idea that just might work.  Bwahahahahahahah!

Moru

Sounds intriguing, let me know more :-)

okee

Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Moru

That looks perfect and I love the FAQ on that page :-)

Hatonastick

That does look promising.  Only problem is (my Java knowledge is practically nil btw) while I can get it to run via command line (or with an ugly link hack), I can't actually get it to run inside a browser -- which makes me wonder if browser apps have certain limits.

I call it from a HTML document:

Code (glbasic) Select
<applet code=enotes.Main
        archive="enotes.jar"
        width="120" height="120">
</applet>

I've opened up the Jar file and looked at it and have tried all sorts of variations in the above "code=" line, but thus far all I get is errors.  The problem is that it's different to the example on the Java website.  Their example called from HTML isn't inside a directory inside the Jar file, where as this app is inside a directory called "enotes".  The manifest file has the main class as: enotes.Main.  So is it just that it can't be run inside a browser (having an html file works better cross platform than creating batch and script files, especially as they can rely on path names which might be different on each computer)?  Or am I doing something wrong?

The only two errors I've managed to get (at different times depending on what I do) so far is a) something about not being able to find the class I've asked it to run, and b) java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException.  Whatever that means.

Edit:  Ahhh, I think I might have found the problem.  I didn't realise there was a difference between Java and Java Plugin.  Apparently the APPLET tag doesn't work with the plugin, so I have to use something a lot more complicated thanks to differences between Mozilla (EMBED) and IE (OBJECT).  Not 100% sure that's the problem, but it does look like it could be.

Edit:  Hmm ok further complications.  It appears there's a difference between Applet and Application.  If it's an application (which I guess it is), it wont run in a browser according to what I was just reading.  My reasons for disliking Java are increasing.  :giveup:

Something like enotes but that runs as an applet in a web browser (using the Java plug-in) would be ideal.

BTW Moru, the solution (which hasn't gotten too far especially as I'm not even sure it's possible) I was thinking about earlier involved the use of HTML5 (which is pretty much javascript).  There's issues on what javascript has access to outside of the browser though so it might not be possible.  I'm just amazed that such a relatively simple problem has no relatively easy solution.  At least none that I can see so far, unless enotes can in some way be forced to run inside a browser using the Java plug-in.