Game maker studio

Previous topic - Next topic

okee

QuoteFor similarity, lets take construct or construct 2 game engines or maybe unite and game maker.
They sure are fine on the entry level as they have a bunch of pre made things that work on the drag point and click level, thus enabling someone to do something maybe quicker. But then, quick only if what you wanna do is what those pre-build things allows you to, should you want to extend it, you will have to delve into some script language probably.

Actually Construct 2 and i'm sure Construct 1 has no scripting, it's all drag and drop events
but like you say if you go past a certain level of complexity with your game the amount of
components you have on screen makes the mind boggle and can be very confusing.
I find code easier to manage.
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Wampus

My concern about tools like Game Maker is where you go when you want to work on much bigger projects than small games. The skills and knowledge gained from learning something like Game Maker may not be so helpful when taking on lower-level languages. If you wanted to take a GLB project to something much bigger then a SDK like Marmalade would be an ideal starting point. With Game Maker? I dunno.

metzzo

Quote from: Hemlos on 2012-Jul-31
You guys are silly.
Monkey, AND GLBasic are buried under so many other languages that i cannot even find them with moderate patience of reading all the links, on Google when searching for a basic compiler.
How can you say Monkey is winning compared to GLBasic when neither is really on the main stream charts.
Until today i never even heard of monkey.
Of course you won't find anything about monkey when searching for BASIC compiler - if you search after "car" you won't get results for an amphibious vehicle... Monkey is officially not called a "BASIC" dialect (at least it is not mentioned on the website)

I think GLBasic and Unity/TGM/... are just two different horses. GLB is a programming language while Unity is a game engine (that doesn't even have its own language, just using C#). Unity has its own 3d editor with all that fancy stuff - GLB gives you the freedom to make it yourself. So I don't think it makes sense to compare GLB and Unity.

And as far as I know, monkey is the only programming language that has a similar "concept". It compiles its source to another high level language, is really just a language and not an overbloated game editor. I don't know any other language (maybe haxe) that offers that like GLB and monkey. So I say: These two are the main competitors.

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2012-Jul-31
Quote from: coolo on 2012-Jul-31
All in all: Monkey (I think one of the biggest competitors of GLB) supports more (important) targets, has a more powerful language and costs around the same (of course some other disadvantages...) - I think GLB should not stay and improve so Monkey is not winning :D.
I really loathe Monkey myself.  Two massive strikes against it for me are that a) it only has a simplistic 2D library with it and no 3D, and b) it's a source to source compiler which means you have to organise your own compiler for each platform (unless I've missed something somewhere).  I like GLB because it comes with (most of) what you need to compile for various platforms -- the obvious exception being iOS based devices thanks to Apple's obnoxious more-Microsoft-than-Microsoft approach to its business model.

The third strike against it is the fact that it's by Mark Sibly. :)

Disclaimer: Of course these are just my opinions and most others might not agree with them, and as I have a few bones to pick with Mark Sibly I'm probably not the most balanced person around when it comes to discussions about Blitz Research products.
So setting some enviroment variables it too much work? I can see your point - Initially it can be frustating to set up these compilers and find out what's wrong. But I don't think once you have got everything running that is a serious problem. When trying to compile to iOS, Android and webOS with GLB you also have to set up your machine. And the other targets, well, they are working awesome :D

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2012-Jul-31
Edit:  BTW the most interesting thing I find about Game Maker Studio and Yoyo's new approach to its pricing is the fact that they've decided (heck they even stated somewhere, and I'd find you the link if I could be bothered) that they are more interested in having its products used by "Professionals" than Game Makers usual users -- an attitude they have obviously reflected with their new pricing scheme.  The problem I see with that is the development package market is already flooded with tools that are more established in the "professional" arena, and most of those come with 3D available from the start (even though you may have to pay extra for it).  Sure Yoyo has stated they will look at adding that later, but I suspect most "professionals" would want that choice now.  Also by targeting this new market almost exclusively thanks to their new pricing structure they have managed to snub the people who have supported Game Maker all these years, therefore wont be able to rely on that market helping support them while they look to gain inroads into the "professional" market.
I don't know anything about Game Maker. But as far as I can tell, this piece of code is much overprized :D

Last but not least I want to say: I am a developer. And the most important thing as a developer is to stay as objective as possible when it comes to your toolchain and your work flow. Always consider using another target/platform/editor/banana, and just because you don't like the color of the website (I'm exaggerating) not using a software is, in my opinion, contra productive.
That's no Bug, that's my project!

http://programming-with-design.at/

r0ber7

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-Jul-31
What would be good is to break into the Linux market - unfortunately a completely Linux orientated IDE and utility set would be needed.

Yes yes yes!

:nw:

okee

Is there any solution at the moment to run GLB on Linux (Mint)
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

r0ber7

Quote from: okee on 2012-Aug-01

I once asked around. This is the closest you can get right now I think:

Quote from: Albert on 2012-Jun-26
Check the Sublime text 2 therad, also look into glbasic\compiler\platform there is the GPC, GCC and all the info you needed to compile to any platform. I think you need a linux version of the gcc binaries but that's all.

This post: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=7653.msg69291#msg69291

I haven't tried it yet, and it seems pre-compiling would still have to be done on Windows, or through Wine perhaps. Perhaps, one day when I'm bored, I will try something like the above, with the precompiler run through Wine, and throw the whole thing in a shellscript.

backslider

The GPC (GLBasic Pre Compiler) is included in one of the glbasic program folders for linux, OS X and Windows (for each platform a single compiler)... So you should be able to pre-compile it directly on a linux machine...

r0ber7

Quote from: backslider on 2012-Aug-01
The GPC (GLBasic Pre Compiler) is included in one of the glbasic program folders for linux, OS X and Windows (for each platform a single compiler)... So you should be able to pre-compile it directly on a linux machine...

Oh! Nice. :good:

MrTAToad

Would be nice to have a native IDE though...

Hatonastick

BTW I removed my last post as I thought that it wasn't good to write when in a bad mood, and I think mine was borderline arrogant.  Sorry about that.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

r0ber7

Quote from: okee on 2012-Aug-01

I made a script that compiles: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=8411.0

Leginus

The other thing to remember about a lot of other languages / Studios is that they are licensed per year and not a one off charge