Windows 64 Bit and File in use issue.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

This is driving me crazy.  I can't find anything via Google that seems to help either.  I've turned off a bunch of things that some people have suggested but it still hasn't solved the issue.

Basically when a program quits, it doesn't release straight away.  Seems to take time.  So if I compile and then run a program for the first time it all works fine.  However if I click on Start or Build in the editor it fails when it comes to replacing the old binary because windows hasn't released it yet -- and windows seems to take a minute each time to do so.

I never used to have this issue, but some update or other along the line it started.  It doesn't end (or start) with GLB though.  I've had many occasions where I've run a program, then gone to move or delete files in its directory and haven't been able to.  Every time I uninstall a program that has been running recently I have to reboot (even on a few occasions to Safe mode) to get rid of the darn thing.  I'm hoping someone who is more up to date on how Windows works these days than I am, can suggest something because I'm all out of ideas.  I'd rather not do a total reinstall of windows because I've got too many large programs I'd have to download/install again, but I'm starting to think that might be my only option -- assuming it wasn't an update that started this mess that is...
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

erico

No prob here on win 7 64bN.

Strange you get that.
Updates are what we ´know´from the past, gets the system worse on the way.
There must be something wrong with your soft inside your system, or hardware maybe.
Keep your system always on , that should give you an extra good time. :good:

Ian Price

I'm on Win7 64bit too - I don't get this issue.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

I suspect rather strongly that it's an issue with my HD as it has never really worked as well as it should.  I just found out theres more than a few firmware upgrades for it that I'm missing all labeled "Important".  I've just installed the latest.  Now I'm downloading the Seagate (it's a Barracuda) Seatools and attempting to install that to find out if it's functioning properly -- and that's an epic tale in itself.  For some reason their .NET is stuck in the dark ages so I'm being forced to download 3.5 (231Mb and which contains the necessary 2.0) on the off chance (according to a forum) it will allow me to install the darn thing. :)

Even once (assuming I win) get it working and there are no errors reported, there are still other things I can try.  I suspect I've possibly got a wrong setting in the BIOS.

I'm hoping to replace it with a new HD soon anyway.  Not that it's old.

Edit:  Heck could even be BIOS related.  Can tell it's been ages since I updated any of the drivers.  The BIOS version on my motherboard is A01, and the manufacturer is up to revision A06 according to the support section for this computer.  So who knows what that will add.  Once I actually manage to download it that is.

Edit:  Well... Windows 7 now knows what hard drive I have, but it's made bugger all difference to speed or the "file in use" issue.  I'm at a total loss.  Only other option is to do a complete wipe and reinstall but I don't have the stamina or the download speed to be bothered.  :(

Ruidesco

Antivirus or malware protection software holding the file hostage, perhaps?

Kitty Hello

bigsofty

Could be a permissions thing if you are compiling to a "programs" dir or somewhere system'ish?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hatonastick

Gernot the test he gives in that article is exactly what mine fails.  My only problem is I don't have that version of Windows 7 (mine is Home Premium) so I cant access the group policies that he uses as a fix (if I'm understanding it properly).

Interesting.  Heres an article on the Microsoft website:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686260

This is my problem exactly.  Unfortunately the only "solution" they give is what I'm already doing and which is quite frankly annoying. ie. rebooting.

I'm going to add GLB directories to the anti virus checker as exceptions too as I'm using the one Gernot mentions in the other forum post.  I may actually be experiencing two very similar issues rather than one issue and one cause.  I'm definitely experiencing what is listed in that MS article I've linked to, but I don't think that is quite the same as what is happening when I compile for GLB then have to wait a while before I can compile again (so it will allow the overwrite of the previous program).  If that was a handle leak I'd have thought it wouldn't correct itself.

Edit: Bah... Adding my work directory where I compile stuff to the Windows Defender exceptions didn't help.  I assume you don't have to add every single directory under a given directory?  Surely it would stop at the top one if you give it.

Edit: Solved!  Thanks to you all for your help, and especially Kitty for setting me on the right track.  I have a vague memory from many months ago when I got it into my head to go to town on my PC and cut down overhead due to some issues I was having with a certain computer game.  Anyway it seems that during that time I must have disabled the Application Experience service completely (as in it wasn't showing up at all in the Services admin program).  I just found some instructions on how to re-enable it and tested some file actions out (including compiling and recompiling a GLB program) and it all worked perfectly.  For future reference what I did to "fix" the issue was open a Windows command prompt and type:

Code (glbasic) Select
sc config "AeLookupSvc" start= delayed-auto
sc start "AeLookupSvc"

And now it seems to all work fine.