Android Console

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Erico:  Thanks mate for that. :)

Matchy:  Hmm that Bootable Emulator led me to Notch's (guy behind Minecraft for those who dont know the name) new project which is an Elite-style sounding space game but taken to another level.  It contains (among other things) an in-game emulator for the DCPU-16 (actually isn't it a fictitious CPU designed by Notch himself?) that players will apparently be able to program (for real) that interfaces with their ship.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

matchy

Ah yes...oh and it's at Hackaday, great site, where I find these interesting articles.   :whistle:

http://hackaday.com/2012/07/09/bootable-emulator-for-the-dcpu/

HamishTPB

Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

Hatonastick

Generally I find the guys at Penny Arcade to be so arrogant and cocky that they sometimes seem to disappear up their own rear-end orifices (lets just say I'm not a fan and leave it at that), but in this case Kuchera does manage to raise some potentially valid doubts about the Ouya.

mentalthink

I listen something about the money they have now.... they needed about 1 million $, and now they have 4 millions... I think the only way for the console works, the principal point, are we(not only we, all the people around the videogame Scene)... if all the people think it´s a good console, all people buy, and can be a parallel console to Xbox or Ps3...

Really not it´s a huge computer in Hardware, but we now the graphics not are all in the games... in example, in my country a lot of people now it´s gamming to 8 bits and 16 bits games... perhaps it´s only a mode... but a lot of people are bored about supoer easy games whit excellent graphics... and of course, I fun a lo of more, whit my Spectrum CPC, or another 8 bits computers, than playing some or most actual games in the market.... (and the price?¿ 60€---  :blink: )

erico

Maybe the next big thing we see around kickstarter is pledge-bot-farms? hehehe  :nana:
What a relief there are other people who also think this is sounding strange,
I thought maybe it was just me, and if it was just me, I would be doing something wrong/mistake. :giveup:

HamishTPB

The fact that they are polling people to ask about commercial titles they would like to see was one of the fishiest things about it for me. If this was likely then there would be a lot more Linux ports already. And as the articles mention, an open system will not attract the money-grabbers at huge studios.
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

erico

Yep, and for example, we will never see mario on an open platform,
wanna play mario or zelda? You have to buy nintendo hardware.

So lot´s of IP and some studios are bound to hardware.
The solo existance of an open hardware will never be enough to dismount this.

What could be good, is for homebrew or small growing indie studios as it offers another market to help push things.
But heck, android? I hope they accept native code direct to their hardware.
Either way, if things go ok, we GLB users are in to gain I guess.
GLB currently support both native and android.

March 2013 is a long road...

Hatonastick

Quote from: erico on 2012-Jul-14
Yep, and for example, we will never see mario on an open platform,
wanna play mario or zelda? You have to buy nintendo hardware.

So lot´s of IP and some studios are bound to hardware.
The solo existance of an open hardware will never be enough to dismount this.

What could be good, is for homebrew or small growing indie studios as it offers another market to help push things.
But heck, android? I hope they accept native code direct to their hardware.
Either way, if things go ok, we GLB users are in to gain I guess.
GLB currently support both native and android.

March 2013 is a long road...
Yeah, now that you mention it, Android really needs some new, imagination-catching, fun IP of their own.  Some amazing game that's only on Android.  Would be interesting to see what Apple responds with if that somehow happened (unlikely, but hey it's nice to dream). :)

I think the way to approach the Ouya is with a keen-eyed watchful interest and a healthy dose of skepticism. ie. keep an eye on its development but don't get your hopes up.  :good:

Ruidesco

So basically they are connecting gamepads to the already existing Android portable consoles and connecting it to the TV, something that, oh surprise!, can already be done with some of them.

And about the game distribution system, sorry, but Google Play already exists.

This has no future.

Youkaisan

Actually you can:

Plug an micro-HDMI to your Android phone (if available)
Connect the Phone and Bluethooth Gamepad.
Play some games/emus that support custom button configuration.

If OUYA can't react quickly, they can't get market share.