Auto-rounded 3D block landscapes

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Well, I thought this might be some cool idea to easily produce levels for games like:

But it turned out to be cooler than sliced awesome.

So, you only need a 3D array of sprite indices, and it creates you rounded cubes that also merge together if they have neighbours. The only "tiny" trouble so far are the tiny holes you get at L-shaped connections. So fra - don't use them :P

Attached the source.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

erico

wonderful! can we set the amount of roundness on the blocks?

Kitty Hello

Yes. But its one face. Not really "rounded".

mentalthink

For me crashes when I start the program , some sttange?¿, don´t needed nothing, no?¿...

Ian Price

QuoteFor me crashes when I start the program
same here. I get a black screen for a few seconds and then it exits. :(

Win 7 64Bit. GLB V10.209
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

HI it´s the same error in my computer...

Well I leave you this 2 simple box models, a box a little reounded, it´s very brusc, and another more smooth, but have very few polygons, I think make a lot of instances can works in mobile devices whitout troubles...

I put the 2 textures , and the template of each box, you can paint what do you want whit PS, paint, or anything can paint textures...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kitty Hello

It creates a terrain.ddd in media. Open with samples/_projects_/dddview

mentalthink

Perfect, now.... it´s looks very nice...

Kitty Hello

I started adding billboard sprites. How does that look? I see a great advantage of this technique - a SEUCK/GACK type gamemaker might be easy to do with this technique and does not look too bad.

Ian Price

That is a brilliant idea :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

yes, cool idea so far :D
InfinityMario   :good:
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

bigsofty

Looks great, I never saw it personally but didn't Paper Mario have a similar engine to this?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

damn it, I can´t test yet, only my laptop here and it has a wonderful sis 672 mirage 3 onboard that hardly can cope with 2d, 3d never mind.... :giveup:

even my currently going 2d game displays 60 fps on original size, scaled it drops to 12fps :(

back on subject,
this sure has a great potential...it may be a little too much for me to cope with on doing something on my own.
but if anything needed count me in.

It does not remind me of mario couse I never played any, but it does remind me of FEZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVVIVyLx-Y

but I just have a hunch this system can get to a whole lot more.

mentalthink

Genot this it´s cool.

The billboards, are 3D or will be the add of rotation in X-Sprite, I think can be maravellous, have an X_Sprite rotating, in depth...