Blackberry

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

I can't find any reference to it, but can you use GLB on Blackberry devices? According to a blog site I saw today they still reckon it is 20% of the US smartphone market so a pretty big deal to develop apps for (WebOS is 2% for instance, iOS 28%, and Android 39%).

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

trucidare

MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Crivens

Any plans for including it in the future?

Cheers

MrTAToad

I dont think they have released a C/C++ NDK yet...

Crivens

Hopefully in the future then. My missus handles loads of hardware at her job so hopefully get a used one for peanuts :)

Cheers

MrTAToad

QuoteThe NDK will be available first in a public beta sometime this summer and then in a 'gold' release during DevCon 2011 in the fall. RIM promised the gold release to be available on both Mac and Linux in addition to Windows. The tooling will have live debugging and profiling capabilities built in and will be available free of charge."

So it could be close.  The problem is the machines aint cheap...

spacefractal

howover as I are aware of, is it not for the "PlayBook" tablet? I do hope its for all phones, since its elsewise would not been possible without a NDK.

Windows Phone 7 have same problem, I hope they release such a NDK too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Albert

And now they are working hard on BlackBerry 10.0 (QNX) mobile phones. I want compile to QNX from GLBasic NOW!

Ian Price

The way things are going, BlackBerry (and RIM) may not exist by the time the next significant update to GLB comes out. :P They are losing users left right and centre with shoddy handsets, poor software and recently terrible reception where people couldn't make or receive calls and/or texts for days.

However they do still have more users than webOS, and a significant (albeit small) share of a valid and valuable market.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

I dont really think that Blackberry will be a viable area for a long while, especially as Gernot has more important things to do at the moment :)

mentalthink

About blackberry it's commented a lot of time... but if Gernnot don't put the platform I think it's for some good reason...

We have to think it's only a men doing the GLbasic and we only pay 60€... I think it's very good thing...and think in a simple thing, develop for a couple of mobile it's a tedious work, becuase you have to change little things, but you have to do it...

Imagine about 5 or 6 different platforms, can be a really madness , I think a lot of times buy Shiva 3D ... but make a 3D game whit a medium quality and  compile for 8 or 9 platforms... buy the phones, or consoles, make the game...  perhaps in this case not have gain economic...  because you waste a lot of money in phones and the game don't sells good.

I think for gain money it's make a good idea or a good game or both, and after, pay a lot of publish or try to get a publisher... I think it's more important the strategy of marketing then the own game in itself.

MrTAToad

Unfortunately the current update is taking a while to produce, so I can image a new one taking a very long time :)

spacefractal

older Blackberry is Java based, so we will never see a glbasic port to those.

Howover BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10 have c++ ndk support, and hence those versions would been pretty possible:
https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/platform_choice/ndk.html

Me thinks Windows 8 RT, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is also more future by now, a least here in EU. Those also have c++ interface now (Windows Phone 7 is not possible due C#).

Howover the html5/javascript platform is the currectly focus on by now, so we wont see any above in near future at all.

PS. Any plans due limited open source so some of us could port it to other platforms (but of course not totally open source, they should still require license etc the IDE is not required).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/