TH_AVOCADO MAYHEM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

im want a another test version :-D. The artwork look awesome and first have seen it now.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Pretty soon hopefully ;)

Heck...the "I just need to draw a few characters for the intro animation" suddenly got out of control and I ended up drawing more frames for the intro then the game itself  :whistle:

Oh well, the idea is that maybe I can use some for the endings too... Now I lined up the coding animation for the intro, but am stuck on drawing the title...I guess I will have to draw an extended set of tiles to use on it and also on the endings too. The color of the tree´s trunk is making it hard to show things, will be a while to solve this, I don´t wanto to mess with what is done. I guess the game has too much red+yellow. I will figure something out...

spacefractal

back to the Amiga days, hehe. Intros for some of the game took the whole disc of the own, hehe.

Im do you you can hold under the 50mb apk limit, which is the maximum for Google Play, unless downloading them external.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Oh I really want this to be smaller, and the original 428x240 images at bmp rgb888 are taking some but not much space. Currently, it totals 9mb as a debug.apk.

Yep, there must be an amiga intro , hopefully faster then the amiga disk loading ones :D some just took too long loading/decrunshing.

I´m still having some trouble defining the art for the title and the endings, so far I have 10 different ending stories going...
After a while battling style for it, I´m starting to think it may be a good idea to render 3d them and get it to pixel similar to the leaves and the trycicle.

In 3d I will be able to recycle pieces like tiles as models and still retain an uniqueness to the output render form they produce.
I think that will easy up my work and also gain variety... tomorrow I will run a test for the title. The title and the final storie´s images share a similar art style construction. A pixel art complex tree house the kids construct according to the final score, with a play to boot, similar to the gameplay graphics, so it is harder to produce then the sepia sketches I did for the dreamy intro.

We will see if this works out (I´m confident it will), I will have the 3d results here later. :good:

spacefractal

Remember, most (if not all), uses rgb565 output, not rgb888. That why I'm dither some graphics in Karma Miwa. Hoeover your game uses retro kind graphics, so hence color banding is by design of course and should not try to hide it.

erico

Yep, the only part that looks strange is the very background at the ocean line when in day, the yellows close to the horizon mix a bit. It makes hard to spot the far away mountains. Not much trouble I guess.

A while ago I quick tried getting it to rgb565, but I could not find a proper way to convert colors to 16bit 565 without dither.
Since the problem was quite small, I didn´t work this further.

The idea was also to reduce image size. A full 428x240 rgb888 image takes 300kb. My media folder as of today is 14.2mb.
I think with the endings and music, it may get to 30mb.

spacefractal

for still images, you can uses jpg images. Now this is a retro based pixel game, so im just threat colorbanding in this game as its was by design. Not as a issue.

Slydog

I'm not sure what issues you are having with 565 graphics.

But, TexturePacker (a great spritesheet organizing tool) converts between multiple graphics compressions:
https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

I'm not sure if your game is using spritesheets or not, but you could still use this tool on each individual sprite to convert.
You could go even lower than 565 with fairly good results (subjectively!).
See the heading 'Reduce memory consumption, not image quality' on their main page.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

spacefractal

he say its only one background, and generally im did not noticed the issue at all when im have played the game. Its only noticable on the sky anyway and its look like design, not a issue.

in Karma Miwa im did also only dither the backgrounds, still pictures, not on the sprites. The reason is the file size would been too much, which is quite much bigger in the 565 format than 888 format.

So for me personly, its could have done on that problem picture eventuelly alone, and leave rest as its are.

PS. the intro background images could have been sligtly compressed in jpg eventuelly to save filesize with low compression (which still save filesize).

erico

Thanks for pitching in, I will look into texture packer. But like Space stated, problem is really only with one picture, I will skip that for now.
Finished a test set for building up the pixel art tree houses with blocks from 3d.

Here is an example test, quite crude, but it is possible to use the technique. So I´m refining it now.

Still, colors may have to be worked out, maybe I will also try bamboos.
Will probably go around today and tomorrow taking pictures of wood constructions to try inspire a color that won´t mix with the tree too much.

EDIT: yes...the design will bring Metal Slug back into your mind... But the final ones will be more of my own.
EDIT2: ...altough I will keep some...gotta have that ultimate reference into it for sure! :)

erico

A title...I´m now promising myself to always create the title gfx first thing when I start a game... ::)
Here it is hand drawn + vectors + 3d and then twist it a little so it looks like demo scene stuff.

It is not what I actually had in mind the first million attempts, but it will have to do. ;)

edit: ya...another 120 days warning...I must unlazy.:P

mentalthink

Super Cool!!! Remind me a lot to some titles of Demos Scene in Amiga...
You have to do a tutorial for learn us how done the pixel art from 3D...

I like a lot all graphics, I don't see before in a big image, a lot of detail...

:good: :good:

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

I'm through this game was cancelled.

The game version I'm got was well made.

Would been nice to see this game on Ouya.

Here you can just uses the new code snippet and ae 2.10.2.

Did you ever used the paintimage() code for any resolution support I'm gave last year?

erico

Quote from: spacefractal on 2015-Apr-01
I'm through this game was cancelled.
The game version I'm got was well made.

I´m not gonna drop the bone, heck, the game is like 99.999% complete.
Just had too much life troubles past months.

Would been nice to see this game on Ouya.
Here you can just uses the new code snippet and ae 2.10.2.

Will check into that when the game is done.

Did you ever used the paintimage() code for any resolution support I'm gave last year?

Not yet for this project, time was too short for me to add it up. Probably on an update.
I´d feel better confidence if I use your paint image code on a newer project, in which I have one designed here and partialy already drawn, just needs the coding.
If I can finish this avocado game this april, then I jump into this other game and so to proper use your function. :good: