Template / Snippet Tool in IDE

Previous topic - Next topic

aonyn

Hi Gernot,

This is not a crucial request, but could be very handy.
As I have said in introductions, I am from the PureBasic community, and this request comes directly from a feature I like very much in the PureBasic IDE.

It is an additional tab on the right side window of the IDE, to add along with  "Jumps", "Files", "Web", and "Debug".
The new tab would be "Templates" as it is called in PureBasic, although "Snippets could also be appropriate, and unique to GLBasic.

This tab in purebasic displays a workspace with a treeview.
The treeview is built by the user to add folders and organize code snippets which are commonly used by the user, which can be easily and directly added to any code being worked on in the ide.
In PureBasic, this is done simply by double clicking the entry in the treeview, the snippet is placed where the cursor is currently sitting in the project code.

I have attached a screenshot which will hopefully explain better than I can with words.
It shows the treeview I describe on the sidebar, the edit dialog for the code snippet / template, as well as the same code inserted in my main edit window in the ide.

This system is very nice for storing functions / procedures which are used frequently.

Please let me know if this interests you enough to consider, and if so, I will try to give you more detail on how it works.

regards,
Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Quentin

Very good idea ! You have my vote.

Kitty Hello

Not a bad idea. I'll see if I can make something similar.

aonyn

Hi Gernot,

I think this will be a very good addition to the GLBasic IDE.
Thank you for considering implementing it.
If you need anything explained further than you can gather from the screenshot, please ask here and I will try to explain it with more detail.

@ Ocean - Hi, it is nice to see a fellow PB user here. :-)

regards,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

aonyn

Thanks for the welcome Ocean!

I don't feel quite so much a stranger in a strange land now, knowing other PB users are here too.
Under your avatar, "I'd rather be flying...".
Are you a pilot? A flight simmer?

I ask because I have a long background in flightsim development, and I am an avid flight simmer.
So perhaps we have more in common than PB. :)

regards,
Dave

aonyn

Hi Ocean,

That is very cool!
I use X-Plane as well, been using X-Plane since ver5, and still using ver9 frequently.
I have also at least tried about every other flight sim available since the early '90s. (I loved the flight unlimited series - it is a shame Looking Glass Studios is no more.)

I started in development with Victory Simulations, and Xtreme Air Racing as a 3D modeler, and as lead artist for XAR2.
I have also worked with Abacus making addons for MSFS, and I was on the Fighter Ops team for several years, but left that project for personal reasons recently.

I would love to get a PPL, but between time and money, it seems I am always short of one or the other, but I still hope some day, I will get to it.

Anyway, it is very nice to meet you here.

regards,
Dave

Schranz0r

Yepp, good idea!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

aonyn

Hi Ocean,

Yes, MSFS is nice for sight seeing, but the fluid flight model and fluid instruments definately make X-Plane the correct choice for flying.
MSFS always feels like you are on rails by comparison, with the exception of a few fine 3rd party payware planes (like those from RealAirSimulations).

I am in Salisbury, Maryland USA. Perhaps one day I will come visit your side of the pond though. I have a couple of online friends in Germany, one lives in Ulm, and the other lives in Mannheim. So Germany will certainly be a destination when I do manage to travel.

regards,
Dave

aonyn

Hi Ocean,

Sounds good, thanks. It is not in the near term plans, but it is something I want to do when I have the opportunity.

regards,
Dave