about IOS & Android Updates

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

as you have seen, its quite some time ago im have updated Android Extras (which is still on Android 5.x SDK) as well iOS, which still have various issues. The most noticed is the FrameBuffer issues.

Also since im have not done any new games and apps in quite a year and most focus have been Steam, then im might leave iOS as well Android market. My iOS dev account would been expired in around sep, and im might do a one or few more updates to both systems (Android to just upgrade to newest SDK).

But my Mac is old as 2009 and can not update it to Sierra, which might been required for iOS11 and can no longer update it. Im do currectly does not have plans to purchase a new Mac, because im have basically no sale on iOS at all anymore, all sale is on Steam, that it. But im do might sell both my iPhone 6 and Mac and then purchase a new used Mac (2011-2012) in the summer. IM will do allways keeps both my iPads as well Apple TV. So im do not leave iOS completly at all and still possible to test things.

Im might even do a few updates for iOS10, because its still combatible with my very old mac (im have to say, its understanding, why Sierra cant run it, its about 7-8 years old Mac, but did Ram upgrade it once).

Also im also might leave Android as well. But im Will do few updates before im do. Also for the Android, its still on Android 5.0 SDK, but im do believe its still works as intended, so all im will do with Android is update to the newest SDK, which should been a no brainer issue. Im will look into that sooner or later (im currectly even use a Android device, not iPhone 6, but its a compeltly different issue).

Please note, im did write this before few years back, so im might return again, and im will not leave glbasic at all and im will still help etc what im can of course, and even might do some updates as well (when possible). Im have simply just done a new game in a year or such. But.... Steam was a great platform yet.

Steam have been a >excellent< platform for me and im still have a very great sale. So im should a day integrate Steam features to glbasic (but its works fine with Steam DRM). Im will do still been in this forum and help of course.

PS. VR is fun!
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

msx

Hello, I link an article where you explain how to virtualize Sierra with VMware. I have done it this way and it works perfectly. So I got rid of buying another Macbook (mine was from 2008). I hope it works for you in the future.

https://techsviewer.com/install-macos-sierra-vmware-windows/

spacefractal

im normally not like hacks and run on none original hardware generally. But im will check that out. Howover this would FIRST been a issue with evenuelly iOS11, and NOT with iOS10.

Mine was a Mini Mac 2009. Im did ram upgraded it once (from 2 to 8gb), due its was really slow.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

UBERmonkeybot

Thanks for all you hard work SF. :good: :nw:

bigsofty

Yup, you've done a lot good here dude. I'm not targeting iOS at the moment, similar problems my mac is not fully 64bit. It's a pain really as a 64 bit OS X CPU is not needed to generate 64bit iOS code. It's just Apple being Apple ie, at total PITA.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

as im said my mac was from 2009, so im cant here bash Apple to drop support so old systems. The current xCode do still works on the previous system, but im do aware Apple might drop that OS when they move to iOS11, which is first to around September.

So its not a shorttime issue, but more a longtime issue.

The most important bug hopefully can been fixed is the annoying framebuffer thing. Im do have no clue why that happens. When that is fixed, im believe iOS10 would works great with glBasic with all important features.

Im are currectly will try that link out, even im perfer original hardware.

erico

Yep, thanks for all the hard work on glb Space!
I have done little last year too, too much life s++t to deal in brazil wasted a lot of time.
I hope this year I can push some games around, and hope you can too. :good:

Alex_R

Sad news Spacefractal. Thank you very much for your hard work especially with 64 bits conversion for IOS.

I wonder if I'm the last person targeting IOS with glBasic. There are some issues still do not resolve: Touches doesn't work with iPhone 6 + or 7 +. and delaysTouchesBegan (we still have an annoying delay just in the left side of the screen) compiling with xCode 10.1  :'(   :'(   :'(

spacefractal

im believed the touched did fixed recently. Since the issue still exists, im cannot do anything more, unless im get the device to test with. Im cannot blindfix a issue at all. Im do thinks the issue is in iphoneviewcontroller.m, which you do have full access it. Same with delaysTouchesBegan issue. Im do not have a device to test with. So currectly nothing im can do at all, and im do NOT want to blindfix issues at all.

Im not even sure im want to pay a new iPhone yet for just fixing issues for others, and also im have just sold my iPhone 6 today, but im will do keep both my iPads. Im might purchase a iPhone 7, but not even sure im will go a + one. But im will let see what happens in the future. Its might delay a month or two or such.

Also im have not have a plan to purchase a new Mac at all, if im dont have plans to updates own software. That it. But, im currectly testing VMWare yet. Currectly its downloading xCode now.

PS. Im also have to say: Android is MUCH MUCH easier to deal with against iOS, where you require a lots of steps and annoying requirements from Apple.

MrPlow

Sad to see you wont be as active!

Thanks to you and Gernot and your AE extras and Admob - I have made some money on Android and I agree Android is soooo much easier and apps are live on Google Play within 2 hours.

With your help I have gathered over 1.7m downloads across all my apps. So glad your Steam projects have been successful and hope you keep developing!

Please keep checking in on the Forum to help with our issues :)
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

as im wrote im well not leave soon and im will still checkout :-), so im does NOT leave the forum (remember Steam have been a Excellent platform for me, quite surpriced how well it did). Howover im do not have doing any new thing in the last year, property because im being older and older (im 40 years old now). Howover currecty im also testing VMWare and see what happens. That can mightbeen easier.

But im do not want to blindfix issues, so the plus issues wont been fixed, not by now.

Also Android seens to require less mainstream than iOS does (even there is 1000's devices out there, but seens its not a real issue really), where Apple have tends to breaks thing. on Android, all issues could have been fixed by the user or by workaround.

Also im will update Apple TV to using newest glbasic as well when possible. Apple TV does not have the named issues at all, since you does not using touch at all. Im really like Apple TV, even its a lesser platform. Its a good platform to perfrom console like thing on it from us (which cant release on real consoles). This is same with Android TV.

UBERmonkeybot

Wow! 1.7m! Is that all with GLB code?

spacefractal

also congratulations with the 1.7m downloads. Im remember one of the app did the most? Im did do much less on Steam, but its a paid app of course, but still happy.

Also please note, my account does first expire in around sep, so there is comply of time yet and im might or might not renew it. im just want to write this post rather doing that in the last minuttes thing, but in a good time.

MrPlow

I would love to get a title on Steam !!!
Your updates have allowed GLB to be used with Steam and that is super! I hope to give it a go sometime in the future!

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

I´d like that too.

About IOS, I wonder, aren´t the sales good enough to invest on it?
I know forking a mac and an iphone is quite a hard hit.