Codesnippets > Math

Constant Game Speed independent of Variable FPS

<< < (5/5)

r0ber7:
Hmm... yeeesss... :)

Ok. So, I have to use ints. This is because of the z_project lib I use. If I use floats I'll get tiny errors when scaling on different screens, which looks as if the screen has been "sliced up". I don't think that using ints is the cause of the problem anyway, because (in the name of science!) I did change all position related variables to floats this afternoon, and it was still jittery. Intermediate indeed, bigsofty. I have another idea now: put the camera movements inside the draw() function. I know, this is cheating a bit, but hey, might work. :P

Maybe if that doesn't work I'll post some code here. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys. I suspect this has something to do with internal game specifics rather than the actual gameloop code though, so I feel bad for derailing the thread. :P

Hemlos:
If its not your code, Im willing to bet your camera is out of opengl's boundary limits.
The size of the opengl world is -32000 to 32000 in each dimension, if you go further it causes problems.

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg28557#msg28557

I suspect this is your problem because you are using integer for 3d coordinates.
You should use floats in the 3d world, otherwise(ints) you are wasting precious 3d space.

64000.0 total opengl world width would be 64km wide.
Build all objects relative to 1 xyz position=1 meter. eg 0.5 would be a half meter.

Furthermore, the best way to setup a camera in opengl is move the world, not the camera.
In your case, alternatively, you can make grids and shift the grids and the camera relative to 000 xyz when the camera goes too far.

Wampus:

--- Quote from: r0ber7 on 2012-Dec-05 ---Ok. So, I have to use ints. This is because of the z_project lib I use. If I use floats I'll get tiny errors when scaling on different screens, which looks as if the screen has been "sliced up". I don't think that using ints is the cause of the problem anyway, because (in the name of science!) I did change all position related variables to floats this afternoon, and it was still jittery. Intermediate indeed, bigsofty. I have another idea now: put the camera movements inside the draw() function. I know, this is cheating a bit, but hey, might work. :P

--- End quote ---

Tiny errors when scaling causing sliced up look? Hmm, you know that sounds like a sprite extrusion issue. Here is a thread about a similar problem (or the same problem) and solutions: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=5057.0. Confused me a lot tbw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version