Program not responding when running two copies of it (fixed)

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureCow

I'm putting this here in case someone has the same problem at some point.

I have been running two copies of my program simultaneously - one a client, the other a server. Once I started the client, the server would seem to freeze and the screen would be blank when I swapped back to it. To close it I had to force close the program (it. it went into "this program is not responding" status).
Similarly if I swapped to running the client then the server, the client would "freeze".
The problem was a actually rather obvious - the code was looping waiting for a particular response from the other program, and wasn't doing a SHOWSCREEN (as I had stupidly assumed the screen would still populated from the previous SHOWSCREEN when I wrote that bit of code). As I found in another post, SHOWSCREEN does more than just show the inactive buffer, and without it you have trouble closing windows.

So if you have this problem, check you're updating the screen with SHOWSCREEN's even when you don't think you need to.

Moru

Also make sure you use AUTOPAUSE FALSE when writing client/server and testing on the same computer :-)

FutureCow