AquaVenture - new game for Dragonbox Coding Competion

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

its was named AquaVenture.cfg, not profile.cfg, just mention its in a readme, then done.

The z issues can explain the why its happens, because its often used as the first button. Howover I thinks its just could remove that by a IFDEF, but only if you want. Its a nice explaining why its was happens.

I thinks the right arrow in the "restart" icon, just could been a "left arrow", because its look more a "forward" button and hence some people confuction? Howover its no more some thing like "either you like it, or not". So no priotity.

Still its pretty a good little puzzle game, so I like that.

PS. The level 30 issue can still been happens with AquaVenture.cfg. Here is the file. Howover not sure how to reproduce the issue (those kind of most annyong issue, which only happens sometimes).

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Ah, OK. I usually name my save files as "profiles.cfg" Same thing, different name :P At least you found it (and being called "Aquaventure.cfg" it made it easier!)

That icon was actually just a place-holder that got kind of left alone. It's difficult doing a detailed image in only 16x16 pixels.

I'm sure the reason for starting on level 30 is pretty obvious. Once I have time I'll have another look. It doesn;t do that for me though, so I suspect it's due to something on my machine counter-acting it, maybe an old save file or something.
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Ah!! I've solved the level 30 thing. You're presing ENTER on the title screen to start the game aren't you? It should be space. I accidently left ENTER in for bug-testing the end of the game. D'oh!!!
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

hehe yes, the most naturlly thing to do on a PC to trying to start a game, and then next often z or space. Its a really nice bug.

profiles.cfg is just not a good name, since its say nothing about the game. name used is 100% fine :-D.

Just turn the arrow left, then I thinks it could been clearer with 16x16pc picture.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

I generally use "profiles", because it saves the profile in the app folder on Caanoo, Pandora, Wiz and GP2X. I use the same code in all the games pretty much, so I just leave it as profile, seeing as only I need to know it and I know where it is. You're the first person ever to ask the location of the save file in over 20 years of programming.

And it wasn't a bug - it was intentional. It just wasn't removed for release. :P

A left arrow in a bubble doesn't look right - the arrow is off-centre as I want the bubble to have a light spot.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Yet another cool game from you Ian, love the gfx style.

Just hope I dont get 2 addicted like your Hallowian game from last year otherwise there goes my productivity  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

Cheers :)

AquaVenture is actually just a small game, so it shouldn't take you too long to get through it.
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

Wow!!!  :good: A cool submit, Ian, and looks perfect.  ;) Tried it out on PC and I guess it's fair there's no hints but seems extremely difficult as I couldn't even fathom how the complete the first level for ten minutes.

spacefractal

First level was last level when enter was pressed first in menu, so it's of course hard :-).

Ian Price

I updated the file once I worked out the problem with the ENTER key - it shouldn't be an issue now :)

[EDIT] I removed the attachment from the first post and made it a download link - this will always be the updated version.
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

Ah much better this time starting off with a neat intro. Couldn't beat those sponges at level 8 but fun to play.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Those sponges was annoying too and it's bit tricky to find up how they move.

Also mp3 is never seamless and there is allways gap in the end, and it's might a head able click. it's due that way mp3 works.

Ian Price

I didn't say MP3 was seamless, just that the Audio in your pc might add a click to the file - my pc doesn't. Saying that it will always click is wrong.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Clicks won't happens If no sound in end or notable. it's just more head able when a tune is designed to been looped. Not all devices does that, but personally I never trust that. I uses headphones.

Howover the tune is do nice and simple on same time though. Just a little short, but don't worry at all.