Linux laptop

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

For those who dont want a second-hand laptop from eBay for running Linux, eBuyer are selling new ones with Ubuntu for £209.99, which is pretty reasonable.

AMD Dual Core E1
- 4GB RAM + 750GB HDD
- 15.6" Screen
- Webcam + Bluetooth
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
- Ubuntu v12.04

http://www.ebuyer.com/620311-hp-255-g1-laptop-with-ubuntu-h6q17ea-abu

Youkaisan

If it comes with a SSD it should be more handy, not bad though.

MrTAToad

SSD is expensive still!

Hemlos

Yup sdd is still up there

Good deal there, nik
Ive been considering linux for different reasons lately, this might be the answer actually, thanks.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

mentalthink

I think in HP or Dell they have a good portable Computer about 200~ Euros and seems a good computer.
About Linux I read Linux mint in the last version it's incredible good, faster, easy(basically it's windows but in green color) and hyper-Stable.

About Ububtu I read the same this last version the 14 LTD(or something called like this), it's very very good

Hemlos

Anyone else think linux is good?
Does glbasic and all its functions work with linux?

erico

I like linux, but I have 2 problems with it:

1- some programs I work with don´t have a port
2- users produce more vanguard software on pc first, as it is a broader base system (I could be wrong here, but for what I need it seems true, visual apps)

I had ubuntu installed, I might dual boot that Ubuntu studio version here later so I can try use it to check GLBasic programs.
As of Ubuntu, I recall my game worked fine I guess, I would have to see what is going on today to be sure.

mentalthink

Yes I like a lot, in fact Linux Mint it's the same like Windows but in green Color  :D :D

I perhaps change to Linux when arrives the Shiva3D for this platform... for use Glbasic and another tools we have paralells Desktops(if works like in mac , I buy sure) and VMware , them have support to DirectX... Really I think it's the same have a mac but a bit more complicated, always if you don't touch the Terminal.

Erico you try the Wine, I watch Cinema4d running very fluid under VMware, perhaps LW works fine too?¿... else Blender  :P

MrTAToad

It'll be interesting to see what SteamOS does to the Linux scene...

Hemlos

Doesnt look like glbasic will run on linux without a little help from a vm

mentalthink

But seems the people wants Linux... Leadwerks (it's something like Unity or Shiva3D, ), are developing a game, whit a reat quality and they port the Leadwrk program to Linux, SHiva3D in the 2 will be released for Linux too.

In 3D a great support point to change of OS has been Blender, changing the UI they are connected with a bunch of people, and really you forget virus, problems with spy... Ok have sometimes have problems but cost 0, and a lot of programs for free, too much times better than pay software.

I think in a few years forward perhaps it's divides the number of users, in the Schools uses Linux, and I think this kids if have all they need... I don't see the reaso for crack or pay for another S.O...

Hemlos

Well this is a test message..

I installed Linux Mint onto a 16gig USB-HDD.

Wow....just wow. Im extra impressed by this os.

They just released version 17, and from what i read, it is capable of keeping all your software updated automatically.

Also....i avoided any form of Ubuntu....i saw a video from the GNU GPL creator that Ubuntu is a spyware for Amazon.com(when you use ubuntu search bar, it is sent to them), and who knows what else information.

I also choose mint over ubuntu because it seems to be more popular than the rest....however, fedora interests me alot.

I like the fact that i can recover data from any computer with this bootable usb....hehe.....from any windows machine regardless of windows security...directly from the usb port. This is not cool for malicious purpose, it is cool because when one of my clients gets a virus, i can pop the chip in and browse right into thier account and copy all thier important stuff that they want.......PLUS it looks like you can install linux mint onto said harddrive with the windows virus problems. Naturally this will wipe out the drive but itll be a nice new os, which only takes a few minutes to install. Yup install it free for them, and only do a service fee.

Another thing i am really impressed with .....it supports my a10 trinity amd apu nvidia motherboard(cpu/gpu type). Cool, and whats cooler than that!?!?! I didnt even need to instal one single driver for any piece of hardware!

More impressions......The 32bit version can be installed on any legacy. I just booted another computer(9 year old athlon64 32bit 2.8g ram 1.8ghz(with a video card with rediculous amount of ram)) And it is running just fine...very fine on my HDTV.

Theres only one hiccup i hit so far, i dont see networks in the wireless part of the OS...yet....i might have broken/busted my usb wifi card....sigh

erico

Great info hemlos!

I will need to install a linux to test stuff from GLBasic, and I´m really unsure about which.
I´d probably go for the most popular, that is why I thought about ubuntu, even if it is a pen drive pre-installed to test.

But by what you are saying, that flavor of linux seems like a better choice. :good:

mentalthink

I read sometime ago about mint... The guys says he desinstall because He stay more conforstable whit another system can crash... Seems the last version of Mint, it's indestructible  =D =D =D can't exploid... Another good point front Ubuntu it's commente for Hemlos, tehy seems solds to the Devil spying the people and this bad things.

A very good point it's if you don't have any idea of Linux no problem, it's the same, all the things or practically all are in the same place, the right button it's the same, programs are in the same place....

About the drivers it's cool you comment Hemlos, about the WIFI I think it's something coomon in Linux, I have installed in a old Laptop the Luna Linux, it's something similar to Mac OSX , and never see the WIFI, my bruder use always Linux, and he installed a lot of distros and he have always problems with the wifi, now have Mint, and always have problems with the Wifi.

I'm not sure if it's the best Distro, I read about arch Linux it's awesome but some distros avoid the UI, and you have to get a good skills in yhe terminal, what's it's cool, but have to study a bit for a good skills over terminal.

I think the another good point of Linux it's , you have a old machine no problem , sure you find some distro makes, you old computer usefull.

Perfect if you are confortable with Mint Hemlos, and thanks for all the Info, I think when I get the 2 Release of SHiva I change to Linux all the machines and I put Windows under Paralells VMWare or the free Machine(I don't rebenber the name), now this have very cool things like drag and drop from any OS and you can copy paste from a desktop of Linux to another Desktop of WIndows...

PS: Now you have to do a Partition for a Hackintosh mavericks...  =D =D =D =D I rebenber when I did in my "big" computer and seems more powerfull than a ols G5...  =D =D