Naver take a summer off from coding...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Took a break from coding over the summer. Now I  cant remember a thing and the fear of code is growing...   :noggin:

Note to self: DOCUMENT MORE!   :'(
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

dreamerman

Yeap coming back from a longer break can be hard, so don't rush and work it slowly to get back to proper state of mind.
My advise is also document each day progress in some way - few sentences in notepad, and more important proper TODO log, with even small task that needs to be done, bugs to fix, new ideas etc. - with their current state. This way is much easier to come back faster after some break.
I always have issues with proper documenting the code, as 'nah I will remember about that' always come to my mind, and later you can guess how it ends :D
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

Even with stuff very well documented, in and outside of the code, that happens to me too.
It is usually a matter of spending 2-4 days messing with the code so stuff starts to come back.
My problem is usually the variable´s relationship, the algo itself, not quite the meaning of things.

loftcat

I have the same problem. You would think I would recognise my own code but no!  =D

bigsofty

I try to document but it's never enough. I was taught proper documentation's practices at college but I was amazed to find that many times it took longer to document than code!  =D So i try to find a happy medium.

One extra small thing Ive done which helps, is that I made a function in my game that zips a copy of the source files(names it current time and date) every time I run the game. This gives me a rudimentary version system through each day, so it's easy to back track.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

It's one of the things keeping me away from coding - I haven't coded anything in 2 years now :'(
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Fear of code, once I realised it was actually "a thing", somehow made my irrational apprehension of sitting down to code easier to ignore. It helps to know other are in the same boat sometimes.

My biggest problems now are mainly physical, lost my eyesight in one eye and am partially sighted in the other due to an accident at the end of 2018. I can still code but it takes a little longer now and some patience.

My advice Ian, for what it's worth, wet your toes a little. Start small, a little utility here or an easy debug there, and you'll soon be comfortably back on the horse.  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

It's not fear of code - it's more due to lack of time; circumstance here have changed significantly. I have soooo many other things I'm having to do and put up with right now. I'm in front line nursing and the last two years have been physically, mentally and emotionally draining for some reason...

I comment my code pretty well, so it won't take long to get back into it. Just need time. And energy!
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Ah, no worries, your heart and priorities are in the right place Ian. I hope you find the time to get back to your hobby.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Cheers. I'll get back to it I'm sure. Too many ideas to just give up on. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Im recently try to get all games to work with Steam Deck. Karma Miwa was wierd when connected to a tv and default resolution was used. Lol. Its was long time im actuelly used glbasic (other than small tools used for Spectrum Next stuff, Etc Baggers in Space: Detour and currectly Crowley World Tour 2).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

I can back and forgot a new android store signing key password.... feck sake!!!
:D
Luckily I had on few downloads on that and will re-submit...
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs