GLBasic .ICO image incorrect

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but when you add your own .PNG to create an .EXE icon the .ICO file appears incorrectly. This same .ICO file is used at the top of any windowed app and looks wrong too.

I've attached an image of the .PNG and .ICO files from my current game (and title screenie). You can't see it, but the .PNG is has a transparent alpha colour surrounding the grid and pencil).

The white grid and transparent alpha colour appear black. The alpha colour isn't important, but the white in the actual image shouldn't turn black. As you can see the small icon in the game screenie displays incorrectly too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Aw, can you paste the original icon.png?

Ian Price

I did originally try to post the .PNG and the .ICO - forum wouldn't accept the .ICO and then wouldn't post at all. A quick rethink and refresh and I came up with the above.

I've attached the .PNG now though. It's 48x48 (maybe this is the reason?), as I use it for WebOS

I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

You can (and should) use 512x512 icon files for the PNG. GLBasic's Icon.exe rescales them to what you need. But, I'll have a look. It must work anyway.

Kitty Hello

Uhm... for me it creates the proper icon.

Do this: Delete the icon.ico file from the project directory. See if your tools/icons.exe is the current version (last change jun,2nd 2011).
I attached the file I used and it was working properly for me. (Though the big icon looks a bit blurry due to the small image given).

Ian Price

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Jun-21
You can (and should) use 512x512 icon files for the PNG. GLBasic's Icon.exe rescales them to what you need. But, I'll have a look. It must work anyway.

I didn't know that. I'm not too concerned anyway. 512x512 is way too much art for me! :P

I'd rather just design the right size icon for the job and leave it at that. I would rather do a good(!) smaller size icon than a big one that scales down badly.
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Just had a chance to download the .EXE file above.

The icons.EXE I had was dated 21.04.2011 - obviously the last full update didn't update this file. I've now replaced it with your new version and all appears to be fine. Cheers Gernot. :)
I came. I saw. I played.