Online manual... offline

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Sep-17
QuoteWill people buy it ?

I'm really not sure there is a need for paper manuals nowadays. If users can't work out the inline and online documentation, there is always this forum. And MrTAToad, you seem to be available to answer pretty much everything 25hours a day, 8 days a week! :P And if it's a bug, Gernot fixes it (generally) within a day. :)

That's why I love GLB.
It's one advantage to being unemployed :)

Ian Price

The other problem with manuals (other than the price) is that they get outdated, especially with Gernot around. Bugs are quashed quite quickly and commands are introduced, or altered to fit the need of the user. What might be accurate in print today, may not be when GLB has a new update.   
I came. I saw. I played.

Kuron

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Sep-17
The other problem with manuals (other than the price) is that they get outdated, especially with Gernot around. Bugs are quashed quite quickly and commands are introduced, or altered to fit the need of the user. What might be accurate in print today, may not be when GLB has a new update.
MrTAToad should write each book by hand with a pencil.  This way anytime something changes the person who buys the book can simply erase the outdated info and write in the new info.  A few blank pages would give a place for users to write in info for new commands  =D

Ian Price

QuoteMrTAToad should write each book by hand with a pencil.  This way anytime something changes the person who buys the book can simply erase the outdated info and write in the new info.
LOL.
I came. I saw. I played.

Cliff3D

This is the advantage to a web-based manual - especailly the Wikki, where any one of us can update it and one could presumably print out the whole thing or only pages which have changed.

We have to be a bit proactive though - I'm finding occasions where I think the Wikki could be clearer, or have more information, and trying to edit it to include that. If EVERYONE who has an issue with the documentation could update the Wikki then it would very quickly surpass the online manual, I think, and even MrTAToad's command list.

I'm a newbie here, but an oldie on the planet, so I straddle the line of those who might be expected to say the manual sucks. I'd prefer to say that the official documentation - even the online manual - leaves a great deal to be desired, but that firmly puts me in the "not content" camp I believe. If it can be improved by the community - why not? Only the community (and Gernot) stand to benefit.

MrTAToad

QuoteMrTAToad should write each book by hand with a pencil
Would get through a lot :)

It would be nice if everyone checked the details on the Wiki - making sure its all correct

Kuron

QuoteThis is the advantage to a web-based manual - especailly the Wikki, where any one of us can update it and one could presumably print out the whole thing or only pages which have changed.
I am not a fan of online manuals, mainly because dev machine does not (and never will) have an online connection.

Cliff3D

Quote from: Kuron on 2010-Sep-17
QuoteThis is the advantage to a web-based manual - especailly the Wikki, where any one of us can update it and one could presumably print out the whole thing or only pages which have changed.
I am not a fan of online manuals, mainly because dev machine does not (and never will) have an online connection.

Ah! But an online manual should be easy to rip and put offline. An offline manual...is harder to do the same with, and it's harder to share editing duties :(

Kitty Hello

The chm manual you get in the editor is a copy of the online version. I create that with every update.

XanthorXIII

What I'm thinking about doing is making small reference guide like some of the O'Reilly. I like to have something small that I can pick up, flip to that command that I need the information for and get it running.
Owlcat has wise

MrTAToad

I'm actually working on something similar - to keep costs (apparently) down, I'll probably do it in two volume - a user guide and a reference guide.

If ol' Cliff3D doesn't mind, I'll include his bits too...

Cliff3D

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-17
If ol' Cliff3D doesn't mind, I'll include his bits too...

Absolutely :) nothing beats a good manual, and I'm all for understanding this language :)

Kuron

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Sep-17
The chm manual you get in the editor is a copy of the online version. I create that with every update.
I know and that is why I do not get the kid who is whining that it sucks and is missing half the commands that the online version has ;/