iPhone simulator for GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Hi, is there one available for Windows for quick testing of GLBasic apps?

I can't afford an iPhone at the moment it would be nice to get something up and running.  :whistle:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

OK, so far all I can find is one for Mac OSX, not Windows, there are a couple of browser based ones, funny enough on Apple Safari but I think they only emulate the iphone browser.

Bah, may'be a iPod Touch would suffice?  ;/
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

The touch is a fun toy. If you want to test GLBasic programs on it, you need a computer running OSX on, though.

bigsofty

So for iPhone  development I need an OSX capable machine, an iPhone or IPod Touch?

Apart from not being a phone, what is the main difference between and iPhone and an IPod Touch?

Damn these are expensive!  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Billamu

Obviously one can't make phone calls :D

On closer inspection though this means an iphone has more to deal with than an ipod touch.
The 2G hardware is an ipod touch hardware glued to its phone component. The 3G and 3GS have better integration of the boards.

I am developing on an iPhone 2G with 3.0 OS because it would be the console that's would suffer from performance issues. If I can get my app to run on it well, it should run just fine on anything else.

iPhones also have speakers. That affects battery consumption.
I'm an Aries. I have lots of Ram.

Uncle

I guess the main differences between an iPhone and iPod Touch (2G) is :

• You can't make phone calls from the iPod ;) but with the 2G version of the iPod you can make skype calls (apple headphone with mic required, or external mic)
  • iPhone can connect to the internet using its mobile phone connection, iPod needs to be near a wifi hotspot.
  • iPhone 3Gs has compass built in, iPod doesn't.

Other than that there isn't much of difference, especially when it comes to development of apps.

Hatonastick

I prefer the iPod over the iPhone.  Reason being is that I don't like my phone being the games machine because phone calls interrupt play, plus it makes it a bit hard to have your mobile turned off (if you dont want to be bothered) while playing games too. :)  It's probably just me, but I like my mobile phone to be separate from my PDA.  Just a personality quirk and a fairly lonely one as most other IT professionals (or ex-professionals in my case) that I know prefer to have everything in one device. :)

The other reason (at least this side of the pond) why I bought the 8Gb iPod Touch 2G is that it was vastly cheaper than any prices I've seen quoted for the iPhone (although are iPhones actually available in Oz as I haven't seen one physically sitting in a store yet?).

Guess it depends on what you want to get out of it really as to whichever is 'better'.

Hatonastick

"Redundancy is good ! "

Exactly! :)

bigsofty

OK, so there is not too much differences between the iPod Touch and the iPhone as far as games are concerned, so as a money saving exercise the iPod Touch is a good option.  :good:

Getting an OSX computer is not too much of a problem funny enough...  :x
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

For games, the iPod totally suffices. It has no mic, no GPS (iPhone 2G doesn't, too) and no GRPS/EDGE plus GSM.
The iPod Touch 1G has a slightly less powerfull processor (I use that to test for compatibility) and no external speaker, but you can get these really cheap on ebay.

Uncle

iPod 2G has a mic, its just not external.  You have to access it through the jack plug.  I use my iPod for skype calls a lot.

doimus

I also have iPod Touch and it's a fantastic device. OTOH, iPhone kind of  doesn't suit me as a cell phone with all its gadgetry. That's not exactly against iPhone, but all those bulky all-in-one devices. I like my phones clean and simple - anything that has mem card for mp3s and photo with flashlight is perfect for me. The smaller it is, the better. And I usually keep them until they break down.

@Hatonastick - you're definately not alone in your gaming habits. I hate current "social" trend in gaming. I actually like some online multiplayer games, but things I hate is communication software such as Xfire.
That thing keeps track of my games, has listed where I play at the moment, etc. which usually means that when I want some quiet time online, all by myself, killing absolute strangers and all that stuff, somebody always appears on Xfire and ruins my quiet evening. Fvck that. Singleplayer rules.
And I hate Facebook, Twitter and all that crap for the same reason.

Moru

I ususlly keep my phones until they break down too. Im still on my first nokia 3210 but I can't find batteries for it anymore :-( still works fine though.

Kitty Hello

Quote from: doimus on 2009-Aug-21OTOH, iPhone kind of  doesn't suit me as a cell phone with all its gadgetry.

I got me an iPhone because I was so excited about the iPod, and I didn't reqret, yet. However, the price is beyond all evil. I got a nice 2nd hand one cheap from the UK 'cause the pound exchange rate was(is) so low. Wouldn't pay >400,-EUR for a 2nd hand one as they sell them in Germany.