Network attempt (solved)

Previous topic - Next topic

Moru

From the manual:
QuoteAn empty IP ("" or "0.0.0.0") will seek for any session in the local network that matches.
That's what it says in the manual and that is what we can't get working. I know my IP and that is how I get it working but how do I make it as easy as possible for someone that don't know what an IP or a network is? Making the code connect to each IP in a local network takes forever with GLBasic, you have to try 192.168.x.x, 10.10.x.x and so on, that is a lot of 3 sec pauses :-)

MrTAToad

My Spots game is a working network game.  Apparently I'm the first  :nana:

Searching on 0.0.0.0 or even 255.255.255.255 wont work unfortunately, so currently what I do is get the user to add in host IP addresses.  The documentation in this area could do with a bit of upgrading.

For most of the game I send the details to all machines.  If its a host machine any connection details would be dealt by that and ignored by clients.

If the host or client machine disconnects, I would check against the number of net joined machines and the internal number of players - if they dont match then someone has rudely disconnected, as opposed to sending a quit message first.

acristo

well I don't like it at all........... I love it! I've been waiting to start working on the network part of my game because of instability of glb net commands ... at least this will give me some way around it... you guys really rocks. :)

congrats MRTAToad :)

Moru

I have also been waiting for something that actually works but then I gave up waiting. I just tried to remove some commands and suddently it was working again. I never though about it when I was first setting it up, I had it running and then suddently I was having major lag and crashes. Now it's running fine after working around the player number and only asking for it when you press the view players button :-) I will rework it into sending the data from the server when I have the chance but the program is in working order, see some other post about Scribble in the beta forum :-)

Would be handy if network programs were able to run better on the same computer though, I had a lot of running to and from computers yesterday.

acristo

Quote from: Hemlos on 2008-Oct-13
LOL check this remark header out....6 years old haha....
....this is one of the command sets that evolved Doctor DiNgs, turn into Mr. "GLBasic" Hyde:  GLBasic. ver 1

im going to need a few hours to work on it to get it working like it did originally.
I will let you know, and ill post the code in networking when im done.
Its a  - MMO Client/Server Network
Code (a relic of glbasic giving birth) Select

// Project: HUB SERVER
// Start: Tuesday, October 01, 2002
// Compiler Version: 1.20821

Hello Hemlos... just wondering if you could post the code you mentioned above :)

Hemlos

I couldnt get it to run, sorry...

Currently, Gernot has all GLBasic Network infrastructure under construction.

When its done, i will make a new network hub server from scratch, but no gauranteed time frame..sometime this year maybe.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

Right, we're currently working on the network functionality from scratch. It will be faster and very stable then.
So far TCP is working quite as expected. I think UDP is, too but I need to hand the port over to the server, still.
However, you can be pretty sure networking will work really good this time, as I need it for a commercial project.

acristo

and who said God doesn't exist ?   :nw:

thank you

[edit (Kitty)] "Soli Deo Gloria"