If you are thinking in SSD hardrive

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

I yesterday finding SSD drives... but now  they are a bit expensive (really not, when the HD begin to grow his capacity I think a 500Gb or 1 Tb cost a lot... well), now the markets have a hybrids hard drives... really don't have too much part of SSD I read in this HD are 8 GB but you have 750 Gb of Serial ATA-600 , perhaps it's a good option for boost the O.S only... I watch some videos in youtube putting an complete SSD drive in old computers and they are more faster than an actual and good PC   :O, I look my mac mini whit an SSD and the reboot it's about 4 seconds...

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-xt-hybrid/

The price I think depends where you found it, can be very different but I read it's about 120€... about 140$

Ian Price

Here (UK) SSD's are equating to <= £1.00 per GB nowadays - the price has dropped significantly over the last year.

I remember when I bought 1MB RAM for my Amiga A600 back in the day. That cost £50+

I think the price per GB is fair compared to that... :D
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

My amiga workbench also booted around 8-10 seconds, maybe they had SSD technology back than and we didn´t know? :P

Hemlos

Someone i know who plays 3d online games said he has his OS on the sata, and the game on the SSD.
He gets no load time starting the game, and there is no load time in the games.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

fuzzy70

Only thing that worried me about ssd drives was their limited lifetime with regards to amount of writes (reads was not affected I recall) which was substantially lower than a normal HD, unless you spent serious cash on the higher spec models. Coupled with the fact that windows is not the most efficient OS with regards to file fragmentation & content creation (I.e programming, video/sound editing etc) can produce a lot of temp files did scare me off a bit.

I have to be honest & say that this was when they had just come out so I presume there has been improvements with the regard to the lifespan issue.

I may be tempted to get one in the future purely for os & apps while keeping my content etc on an standard HD, but at the present time its a lot of money to spend out on something which offers less storage & no real benefit to myself as my main usage requires CPU/RAM/GPU far more than storage speed.

Lee

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

QuoteMy amiga workbench also booted around 8-10 seconds, maybe they had SSD technology back than and we didn´t know?

My cpc boots in <1 seg  =D =D

Ruidesco

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Nov-23
QuoteMy amiga workbench also booted around 8-10 seconds, maybe they had SSD technology back than and we didn´t know?
My C64 booted instantly too, but that was the ease of having the whole system mirrored from ROM to RAM just by flipping the power switch on.
So, in a way, they had SSD back then.

fuzzy70

One thing that has got slower though is mobile phones. Pre android / iPhones used to turn on or reset & be usable almost instantly lol

Lee

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2012-Nov-23
Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Nov-23
My C64 booted instantly too, but that was the ease of having the whole system mirrored from ROM to RAM just by flipping the power switch on.
So, in a way, they had SSD back then.

Pretty much have to agree, considering the amiga (a4k with a whooping 120mb hd!), part of the system was on chip, part had to be loaded (IIRC).
My coco II booted almost instantaneously with its basic rom, similar to c64 and msx.

So, maybe the amiga has to be blamed for starting this OS loading thing? ;)

SSD is on my utopia list, but new monitors have to come in first...

Ruidesco

Haha no, it's not the Amiga's fault. PCs were already terrible when it came to OS loading times since they had no ROM to blit into RAM at all, and they could even work without a HD thus having to load everything from floppy disk drives.