Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

Quote from: matchy on 2011-Dec-21
Relax...GLB is supposed to be FUN!!!!

Yeah, you're right. Thanks, I almost lost track of why I'm doing this in the first place, fun. :)

r0ber7

Working on the gfx for a new spell. Today I went from this...

to this:

Work in progress. Eventually the wizard will be rotating upward until the "cloud" forms, at which point he'll grab his staff with both hands and crash the ground. Thinking of making the entire thing somewhat blueish, and of course a nice glow will be added as well.

Coding will come later. I've taken a break for a while and am taking my time, no hurry. Hope you all had a nice christmas.

Ruidesco

Oh boy that looks so good. Is this going to affect the grounded enemies or something like that?

erico

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!

as far as my opinions go, I would avoid transparency, but that is just me, I love snk´s animated fxs.

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Dec-28
Oh boy that looks so good. Is this going to affect the grounded enemies or something like that?

Thanks. :) The idea is that on impact it will cause the ground to spike up, kinda like this.

I think I can create the effect by stretching the polys of the surrounding ground tiles up. Spikes will harm all surrounding enemies and make them bounce away, making it useful for when a lot of them are in one place.

Quote from: erico on 2011-Dec-29
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!

as far as my opinions go, I would avoid transparency, but that is just me, I love snk´s animated fxs.

Thank you, the gfx are still being finetuned today. I haven't used any transparency yet, just tones of grey/white which will probably change somewhat to a more white blue.

r0ber7

I call this one the fire sperm of DEATH. It will get fired at the main character by viking wizards (still to be pixeled). I'm not sure if I should make it green or keep it yellow/red. What you think?

Ruidesco

As long as it's not white... :P
It might be good to make it a different hue of the player's own projectiles.

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Dec-30
As long as it's not white... :P
It might be good to make it a different hue of the player's own projectiles.

Yeah that's what I thought. But I'm still torn between this one or a blue one. Cuz I think this one looks cooler... Perhaps more red with a hint of yellow, or blue with a white stripe. Oh well, less talking, more pixeling.

r0ber7

Ok, quick update. Been working on the graphics for the enemy projectile, and I've fully coded in a climbing up/hanging from the edge of a tile thing. I'll be on vacation in France next week, which will give me some time to implement the new spell into the game, maybe start multiplayer, more levels, other stuff, who knows. I've got a list of things so we'll see. See you next week.  =D

erico

Nathan

Sperm monster?!   :S
Just slightly off topic, this does seem a really good quality project, have you released any other games in the past?

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2012-Jan-06
have a nice time! :booze:

Will do. :)

Quote from: Nathan on 2012-Jan-06
Just slightly off topic, this does seem a really good quality project, have you released any other games in the past?

Hmm, not really of this standard. I've been dabbling around with music, gfx, and code since I was around 7 years old. I made some "finished" games, but that was a looong time ago.

If you have an Amiga emulator/ real Amiga:
When I was 12 I made a small shooter in AmosPro. Download - Youtube 1 - Youtube 2
Here's the early Amiga version of RWI, released it somewhere in 2011. Download
And this last one will run on Windows:
A jumping thing where you collect marijuana leaves from when I was 15. Download

erico

the shooter/sniper one looks nice, you sure could have it going on magazine´s cover disks.

r0ber7

I'm back baby!

All I've done so far is modify the HUD to include coins, but at least it's something. Before, I kinda went overboard by trying to do everything I came up with. So I'm keeping it simple now. One thing at a time. I'll probably give updates less frequently, but this project lives on.

quangdx

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2012-Feb-09
I'm back baby!

All I've done so far is modify the HUD to include coins, but at least it's something. Before, I kinda went overboard by trying to do everything I came up with. So I'm keeping it simple now. One thing at a time. I'll probably give updates less frequently, but this project lives on.

This is ind of why I started the Asobitech 1UP game series, of 1 a week.
I had about 6 games on the go for about 2 years, none of them were finished,
I keep adding new things, and procrastinating, etc. Feature creep, I believe the call it.

Doing 1 a week, forces me to finish the games, and release them, I can always go back another time to add more.
I suggest setting yourself a schedule, milestones, stating what you want done/completed  each week/month
then aim to hit those targets, and get the game finished.

Look forward to the updates.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.