GLBasic IDE graphical failures

Previous topic - Next topic

S.O.P.M.

Hello,

I really want to know if anyone else has these problems with the GLBasic IDE. For me often I cannot continue my work because of graphical failures which make the IDE not longer usable. There are different situations, one of them you can see in the screenshot. Mostly the menu stops working, means, that all the entries are gone. But sometimes the whole editor window is messed up.

Please don't tell me it's my computer - it should be fine because all other software is running properly!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

kanonet

Hmm cant remember haven these issues.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

MrTAToad

No, I have no problems here.

I have seen the problems you describe though - if I remember correctly it was all fixed ages ago.

What version of GLBasic are you using ?

Slydog

Never had any of those problems in my two years or so of using GLBasic.
And I put GLBasic through some punishment, with 20 windows open at once.

It sounds like your PC is the problem, or at least some Windows DLLs or OCX controls may be the incorrect versions.
Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling GLBasic?  And upgrading to the latest version.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

fuzzy70

Only IDE problems I have had was with the "Globals" tab on the right not showing the right values for the variables as I was stepping through the program, but that was short lived & quite a while ago. I have never had any of the problems you have described though.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

S.O.P.M.

This was a fresh install not many days ago, version is 10.244. Yes I know, now there's already a newer one online.

Well, I have found out how to reproduce the error! Please try the following with your editor: while any code is loaded, stress the menu. Open any menu and press and hold right or left cursor key, so a fast scroll through all the menus starts. After not more than 30 seconds only the menu bar cursor keeps scrolling but the menus are dead. Then the whole editor starts to become instable and may finally crash.

Slydog

Yep, after about 30 seconds of cycling through the menus, the menus started to mess up. 
Even after stopping the cycling then menus remained screwed up!

I have a solution, don't hold your cursor keys left or right while in a menu for more than 30 seconds!   :P
Not sure what would cause this, sounds like a memory / resource leak or something.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

S.O.P.M.

Great that you can verify it. Once the menus are broken also the code edit window becomes affected. It should be fixed, I think. It does not only happen if you stress the menus this way, it also happens if you just use the menus too often.

fuzzy70

Same thing happened to me, reason why I probably never had/noticed that problem before is because I rarely use menus just shortcuts like F5, F8 & Crtl S etc. Pretty much the same as any app I use.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

okee

That's like saying I have a problem with my car, it keeps crashing,
here's how to replicate it, drive it into a wall :)
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

mentalthink

I rebenber something similar... and I think was the driver of the GFX card.... perhpas not... but for me GLbasic Graphical interface runs always OK

MrTAToad

I've made a bug post for you about it :)

S.O.P.M.

Quote from: okeeThat's like saying I have a problem with my car, it keeps crashing,
here's how to replicate it, drive it into a wall :)
Not a good comparison ;) A car isn't made to drive into a wall but a menu is supposed to be opened at any time (and even if 100 times during one session).

Quote from: MrTAToadI've made a bug post for you about it :)
Very kind from you, thanks!

Ian Price

QuoteNot a good comparison  A car isn't made to drive into a wall

I wish you'd tell my wife that...
I came. I saw. I played.