First (sort of) project decided upon

Previous topic - Next topic

PeeJay

Okie dokie, I've been having a look around the place, and have decided that my first project needs to be something relatively simple to get my teeth back into coding. I also want to concentrate on what I do best - no, not breaking wind - writing self contained snippets of code that solve a problem (or do some of the donkey work out of game creation).

By first task is going to be to revisit my Bitmapped Font Library code. There are a few good reasons for tackling this project first:-

1) Many, many people seem to have found these routines useful
2) People have modified the code to add additional features, but some have managed to add a couple of minor bugs in the process (oops!)
3) Before RL happened, I had numerous features lined up to add, and numerous optimisations to make
4) It is a set of routines that will always be completely platform independent

With this in mind, may I humbly request that people do not continue to edit my original source further? This is largely because I may decide to make the final version of these routines (which the next one should be!) as "forced" donationware (ie you can have the source for a donation - how much is up to you.) Sorry if that sounds rather unlike me, as normally I am happy to share all my routines freely - but staggeringly, in the three or four years I have had a "Buy PeeJay a Beer" link on the website (in fact, I think that Paypal link is now broken since I changed email address about 2 months ago) I have had no less than TWO donations, one of which wouldn't have bought me a pint of milk, let alone a pint of Guinness! Don't get me wrong - this is not a whinge (well, not much), but with the number of people that have found my tutorials and routines useful, even invaluable, I would have expected a few beers bought for me, especially considering the time that was given up to create these things.

Whilst I am not particularly materialistic - believe me, on my salary, you learn not to be - it has made me feel rather despondent that people are making money selling apps on market place etc, but freely given donations are thin on the ground, to say the least :(

With that in mind, my whole philosophy and outlook has changed - possibly not for the better - but hopefully enough to help even out of the balance a little. If I am coding for me, that's one thing, but if I am coding for others (which I have done repeatedly in the past both with problem solving and code routines) then a donation for my time would be more than welcome :)

My very first task, though, it to completely overhaul the website - I kinda like the look of the website I have created for SADOS - www.sados.co.uk - so the new look website may well look remarkably similar ;)
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ian Price

I like the look of your SADOS website - I think changing your old site to resemble that is a good idea. I really need to create a "friendly face" for all my fluff and stuff - most of my stuff is just linked to grab straight from the server.

I also think the idea of "Forced donation" is more than fair - an awful lot of work goes into creating these routines, and like you say we get very little thanks (if any) for them. I remember one guy asking for help - I suggested your site, and he returned but couldn't even get your name right. :( That's one of the reasons I've created commercial apps - to at least get a little recognition or something back (and I really do mean little). And nobody ever bought me a beer (or a bottle of milk), so consider yourself lucky! :P

Before you do anything drastic to your font routines, it might be worth you looking around the forums at Gernot's additions to fonts and drawing them - they're much better now than they were before.

:)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

all i can say is..
get it going peejay,
no doubt you will do more the excellent work!

Moru

Sounds good, I had much fun adding to your bitmap library even though I never had use for it anywhere. (real life in the way here too :-)

Make sure you look into the new print routine by Gernot, it can print proportional text now without startup delay.

PeeJay

First new remake is complete ..... sort of - it's the facelift for my website! Yep, the old 90's look has gone, and a snazzy new modern look has replaced it. That should now leave me free to start getting my head back into coding in 2012 :good:
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

erico

Site is great, the title seems a little blocky here, more antialiase on so close assets.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.