iPhone / iPod

Previous topic - Next topic

Hark0

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Jul-09
....but I remove the iPhone interface so far (it might be there, but you get errors when you try).

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh  :zzz:
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Sokurah

Say you're making an iPhone/Pod game, how would you go about testing your code?

Can you compile for PC and run it there (perhaps with the mouse emulating a single touch on the screen) or do you have to squirt it over to the real device to test the code?
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Moru

As usual with GLBasic you can test everything under windows on your PC while developing your game except for the platform-specific things like multitouch.

trucidare

Here some Screens - Developement goes on...

the code:

Code (glbasic) Select
// --------------------------------- //
// Project: TryTest
// Start: Monday, August 10, 2009
// IDE Version: 7.073

REQUIRE "network.mm"

// Create new Popup
IMPORT "C" void GlbPopup(const char* title, const char* text, const char* firstButton, const char* secondButton);
// Get Pressed ButtonIndex (1,2)
IMPORT "C" int GetPopupState();
// CreateTextField
IMPORT "C" int GlbTextField(unsigned long pwnd);

GlbPopup("Message...","This message was created with GLBasic \n One Line \n ;)","","Ok")

WHILE TRUE
Ret = GetPopupState();
IF Ret = 1 THEN Re$ = "You pressed Ok..."

PRINT Re$,0,0
SHOWSCREEN
WEND

[attachment deleted by admin]
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Sokurah

One more question (because it's easier to ask here instead of going Googling) ;)

I've read two conflicting things about programming for the iDevices.

1). Pay Apple $99 a year to be able to run your game on the real device.
2). Pay Apple $99 a year to be able to distribute your software through the App Store.

Which is it?

The thing is that I'd like to play with it and experiment a bit and that may take a while as I've got plenty of other things to do too (and I'd have to learn a new programming language). I wouldn't want to pay $99 for just being able to play around...not if I can avoid it anyway. Would jailbreaking help here?
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)

MikeHart

@Sokurah:

With paying $99 you can test it on your iphone AND try to publish it trough the store. Be aware that Apple can reject your App and it will never see the App store. Just to let you know.

@trucidare: NICE, I like what I see.

Kitty Hello

@Sokurah: I'm not allowed to provide a full toolchain for windows (ask Apple :/ ), thus you would need the 99$ program to see your game on a real device.
If you send me the created XCode project (that's pre-compiled, no source exhibited), I might add your device to the AdHoc list and send it to you so you can see it in real action.
If you're planning on going serious, 99$ is the way to go. If you only want to submit freeware, I think of a service to do that for all of you. I have to think about some sort of contract, so I'm not gatting sued for your bugs, though :P

Sokurah

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Aug-11
@Sokurah: I'm not allowed to provide a full toolchain for windows (ask Apple :/ ), thus you would need the 99$ program to see your game on a real device.

What does this mean?

I've done a little research and have established that you can run all games and appilications on the iPhone if it's jailbroken. What does that mean when it comes to apps made with GLBasic - do I need to pay Apple anyway...even if I'm not interrested in the AppStore and only want to run things I make myself locally?

Kitty Hello

Apple says "You agree not to install parts of the SDK on non Apple branded hardware". I have to play by the rules, sorry.

Hatonastick

What it means is it's a licensing issue with the Apple iPhone development toolkit.  That's what Gernot is saying.  Because of that one line in the license, Gernot can't have GLB compile for the iPhone out of the box on a Windows machine (despite the fact that he's already proven that he can).  So instead he had to set it up so that GLB creates a project that you can then transfer to a MacOS machine and compile on there.  Stupid isn't it -- but it's not Gernot's fault.

Moru

Why buy an Apple product if you wanted to develope for it yourself? Better go with something open source...

trucidare

Its the best solution. To keep the iphone sdk actual under windows we must test all new SDK releases upcomming. 2.2.1 worked then came 3.0 and we tried long time to compile somthing. 3.1 is in beta status.

The compiler didnt change but the linker. With new products coming in apple product lines using this toolchain the linker command tables will change. and we must create new linker every version of the sdk. Hardwork i know it ;)

So the objc compiler works with every version of the sdk and creates object files. Copy to latest iphone SDK on your mac and link. Everything cool, and legal.

P.S.: Bitte mal einer richtiges Englisch draus machen, Danke :)
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Kitty Hello

Quote from: Moru on 2009-Aug-12
Why buy an Apple product if you wanted to develop for it yourself? Better go with something open source...
Q: Why develop for the iPhone?
A: [rul]http://firemintgames.blogspot.com/2009/04/flight-control-sales-numbers.html[/url]

Q: Why bye an Apple product
A: Sales to date (6 March to 27 April): over 700,000

Q: But, Apple - it's totally overpriced
A: Sevenhundredthousand in two months

Honestly, developing for the iPhone is not about "I want to play my own game just me and my buddy". It's the door into the big business for us morons.

codegit

After your game is released onto the apple App store. What do you guys think will be the best way to market the game? Web site, twitter, Blog, click avertising, (combination of all)?????????? (Have I left something out that should also be included)

------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

Kitty Hello