How do you remove Android soft menu?

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimSentry

I have been having a blast with GLBasic and have answered dozens of my own questions thanks to this great community. Now I have my first question  :-[ . When I test my code on my HTC EVO 4G LTE running Android 4.0 it always has the soft menu, the black area with three dots. I want it gone. Does anyone know how to do this. Thanks in advance for your time :)

~Grim S.

bigsofty

I don't think you can, it can me reduced to 3 dots but that's it. This is not the fault of GLBasic as it's a restriction of the Android O.S.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

GrimSentry

That's odd because I have half a dozen games that don't have it show up. I looked in all the documentation for the xml file and couldn't find anything there. Thanks though.  :)

Grim S.

okee

Do you have a screenshot ? I don't get anything like that, is it on the HTC only ?
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

GrimSentry

I will have to get a screen when I get home.. I have only tested on the HTC. A side note, I have no hardware menu button. I tried the full screen setting and it didn't work. (To be continued...)

~Grim S.

okee

Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

GrimSentry

@okee The link you provided was informative unfortunately i don't want users to have to Rom/root there phone.

Fortunatly i found the solutions and it was an over site on my part when it came to the AndroidManifest.xml

The line:
Code (glbasic) Select
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="8" />

Needs to be:
Code (glbasic) Select
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="14" />

This will remove the 3 dot soft menu.
Thanks for all the help everyone :)

~Grim S.

bigsofty

Well done finding that one, I just notice that VLC Beta on android removes the bar too. Not so sure this would work below ICS though?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Ace find. Please check if it works on 2.2 or 2.3 still. I think it should.

GrimSentry

Sorry for the late response.  Been moving  :S When I get a chance I will charge my old Droid X and see if I can get it to work. I believe it is 2.3.

~Grim S.