News:

*NEW* Current Version on STEAM16.793

Webchat:
Visit the chat

Pre3

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Hmm. Just released my latest game (free version of Snake Revolutions) and it seems it maybe has a problem with the Pre3. The one review so far says "Doesn't open on my HP Pre3!". I thought it was practically identical to the Pre2? My app works fine on Pre2/TP so I assumed Pre3 would too considering I allow for different screen resolutions.

Or is there a different setting that might cause problems with the Pre3? Or perhaps a need to reboot sometimes first like on iOS?

Also really haven't the foggiest to go debugging it with no Pre3 hardware. Anyone got one they wouldn't mind testing with? Don't really want to strike Pre3 off the list with only one reported error. Or is there a way to run an emulator for Pre3 specifically? Never really used the emulator as I had most of the hardware...

Interestingly both the free and full versions (apart from an error with the full version putting min version of 3.0.0 so didn't appear from Pre2) were approved by HP within a day (submitted saturday night and was available monday morning). Was a week last time... Winding down lots methinks...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Wampus

I'm guessing it may only be their Pre3 that it doesn't work on. I have a Pre3 I can test with if you get me an ipk file. Unfortunately the app catalogue doesn't work for me and I'm too lazy to find out why. :>

Crivens

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I don't want to exclude the Pre3 when it might only be the one device.

Excellent. Didn't realise a Pre3 existed here! Ok will post it to you tonight. Ta!

Also one review said it was a really good game, but only gave it 3 stars because it didn't use the back gesture or had menu items. Hmm, bit picky if you ask me. Back gesture is hardly end of the world (always have button to go back) and I do have menu items, but I'm guessing he means from a drop down menu like a lot of apps have. Hmm dunno about that with a full screen app. Doesn't matter anyway as I don't know how to do either from GLB...

Cheers

Ian Price

QuoteAlso one review said it was a really good game, but only gave it 3 stars because it didn't use the back gesture or had menu items. Hmm, bit picky if you ask me.
I had someone give a similar review to one of my apps. Like that really detracts from the game. I'd much rather a MENU/HOME button than swipe (which is a bastard to implement and get to work 100% every time).
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Yeah. Mine can't actually return to the menu from the game (only pause and resume game), but that's mainly because my game is supposed to be quick. Want to return to the menu? Let go and you will die in 5 seconds...

I'd also much rather have a quit button, but apparently Apple don't like that anymore. It's only a suggestion in the notes but they seem to be rejecting now because of it.

Cheers

Ian Price

I was talking webOS specifically, but Apple do let the EXIT button fly whenever they want. Most don't build it into their apps, but there are still new/new-ish apps that have it.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Yeah, my first game was allowed with a Quit button. Apple are always really vague though. I think possibly because my first game said "QUIT" then it was obvious, but my last game had a big skull and I suppose that is not that obvious. I liked it though...

They argued (ha, more like just pasted a guideline paragraph and then went back to pr0n) though that Apple apps shouldn't have a button to quit out as the hardware home button did that. Fair enough but it did mess up my nice balanced menu screen a little...

Cheers

Wampus

Quote from: Crivens on 2012-Mar-06
Excellent. Didn't realise a Pre3 existed here! Ok will post it to you tonight. Ta!

Oops! Should have updated the test device spreadsheet. Have now.

I wonder if the back button would turn up as a key press or something like that. Its not something I tested. Previously my first game PowFish crashed when the back button was used. Turning off ALLOWESCAPE fixed that problem. :)

Ian Price

The swipe is unreliable. Sometimes it accepts it, other times it doesn't.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

QuoteI have a Pre3 I can test with if you get me an ipk file

There you go. Thanks for this Wampus!

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Crivens

Also I realised when I updated the full version (which was TP only originally) that I had left the min ver as 3.0.0. The free one is 1.4.5. Obviously this means any Pre phones (maybe not Pre3) cannot download the full version. This sucks as my free downloads aren't bad (700+ in 2 days) but full price version is pretty much flat lining. I'm guessing because of this version problem.

Anyway I updated the app a few days ago with the "just metadata" option and *only* changed the version down to 1.4.5. The app screen against my profile shows as 1.4.5 but the catalog shows 3.0.0 from the initial TP release which I forgot to change (and definitely doesn't show on the catalog on my Pre2). The metadata update I did is still waiting to be reviewed. Interestingly both the free version (new) and full update were reviewed and on the store in two days (sunday in middle too). Now waiting on 4th day for simple metadata update.

Now on the new update I didn't add any text to indicate what I had changed (thought would simply update the metadata), but does anyone know if this will be a problem, potentially confusing the reviewer? Also is there an email address to send any concerns to?

Cheers

Ian Price

Any changes to the metadata - text or whatnot, needs approval. This can take upto a week (it would seem that approval is quicker now though, maybe due to fewer webOS apps?). You can contact them at pdc@palm.com
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Thanks Ian. I'll give it a few days then. Just strange a whole update and a new game was done in one working day and a simple change just to metadata (ie. lowest version number) has taken like 4 days so far.

Cheers

Wampus

Crivens the game works very well on my Pre3. The only issue I found was that if I pause or leave the game then come back to it the music won't come back automatically. I have to go into options and turn it off and back on again.

Crivens

Thanks for doing that! I'm guessing then GLB doesn't handle playing music again correctly on WebOS. I know the iPhone works fine with that.

Was it sluggish at all? I use timer code and all devices seem ok so far, but one review reckoned was too fast on pre3 plus the controls lagged. Surprised there about lagging and consider his phone to be doing stuff in the background as I've never had that on less capable devices apart from when it's obviously checking stuff like mail in the background or doing an app update at the same time.

Cheers