Apple kills Android?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

okee

Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Ian Price

Looks like there are several missing lawsuits from that lot - this was obviously compiled last week! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Moebius

QuoteLooks like there are several missing lawsuits from that lot - this was obviously compiled last week!
true  :good:

God these patents are horrible  :rant:
QuoteThe first patent is described as a "system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data," which Apple says applies, for example, to tapping a phone number and being prompted options to call or look it up on the web.
How widely applicable is that?  Honestly?
LodSYS's seemed even worse.  Wasn't the one that was used against in app purchases "collecting data about users through in-app interactions"?

EDIT:  this one looks better:
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

Gary

I thought Skype had the phone number recognition and tap to call from a web page way before iOS existed.

Wonder if I could sue every c64 game manufacturer for "stealing" my idea for displaying more than 8 sprites on screen at once? I did a simple 16 sprite multiplexor about a year before it first appeared in any game.

It wont be long before someone copyrights the idea of breathing  :S

okee

QuoteWonder if I could sue every c64 game manufacturer for "stealing" my idea for displaying more than 8 sprites on screen at once? I did a simple 16 sprite multiplexor about a year before it first appeared in any game.

I was researching Hidden Object games and came across this:
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080225060

QuotePatent application title: Insertion of Graphics into Video Game

Abstract:

A video computer game is described that enables a user to generate and play a customized video game. The user retrieves a user generated pictorial background for placement in a graphics window in the game. User generated or previously provided objects are selected for placement on the background object. The pictorial background and selected objects are combined in a game workspace for editing. The combined background and objects are then placed into the graphics window of the game. A list corresponding to the selected objects is automatically created and placed in a list window of the game. The game may then be published or may be played privately by the user. During play of the game, the objects in the graphics window are selected and a selection indication is provided.

There was a support pdf which showed a very basic design on another link i found but can't find it now

You have to wonder if companies are now patenting the most simple of things just so they
don't get screwed by patent trolls.

okss

Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

doimus

Quote from: Gary_Leeds on 2011-Jul-18
It wont be long before someone copyrights the idea of breathing  :S

I think it would be profitable to copyright the act of copyrighting.
When you're in the business, you have to aim for the top.  :D

XanthorXIII

Can we patent law? We would have to carefully word it so that it could and then enforce it on the US or any other country that decides to draft and use it. I think that would finally get the United States to look at the idiocy of patents.

Owlcat has wise

Kitty Hello

the only thing I'm glad of, is that there is "prior art", meaning you can't patent what has already been used by someone before. So if we can proof there have been people breathing, wearing or sewing clothes or eating vegetables, we're safe to survive.
I really think that almost all of these troll patents they now make are more or likely "prior art", because
Quote from: King Salomo, Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Quentin

That's for sure. Problem will be to find the evidence in every case, that is was done before :)

Ian Price

QuoteThat's for sure. Problem will be to find the evidence in every case, that is was done before :)
There's too much to lose to NOT find this information.
I came. I saw. I played.

BdR

Quote from: okee on 2011-Jul-18
I was researching Hidden Object games and came across this:
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080225060
Of course, user generated graphics in games or custom sprites have existed at least since "Drawn To Life" (2007). I can't think of any earlier examples, but no doubt it's been done even before that.

A while ago there was a Donald Duck comic strip, where Scrooge McDuck files a patent on hot water, charging people money if they took a shower or made tea. :D it's so ridiculous, yet so close to reality nowadays.

There also is an old Daily Show clip (with John Stewart) where lawyers argued over who held the rights to a fart app. Seriously, I'm not kidding, check the video iFued, the rivalry between "Pull My Finger" and "iFart". So embarrassing..

kamakazieturtle

Seeds are even patented now, not only that. But if a farmer has his own seed he has been planting for years compromised by any of the patented seed, whether a truck came by and some blew out or by cross pollination, etc... The patent owner now can sue said farmer for infringement and force a settlement on them to only use their product or to take all of their money. Thats fact. The world is a really nutty place right now.  :S :'( :(

Hatonastick

Yeah and it seems to be getting nuttier every day.  :|
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).