Device Specific Sections

Previous topic - Next topic

XanthorXIII

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I think we need device specific sections on the forums.
Such as iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, WebOS, Android(*cough*) GP32X etc....I'm seeing where some code and examples can be found in different sections on the forum. They really should be unified to a dedicated forum subsection.
Owlcat has wise

ampos

I am with device specific features.

For example, the iAD implementation forn iPhone shold be there, as it only works there.

Any other thing more generic, place it on snippets.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

XanthorXIII

Maybe assign one mod to monitor the device specific section to monitor for specific posts on the devices. If they see something they deem generic, move it back to the general section. I don't think it should be too hard for others to know where to post. A lot of this information is becoming un-organized which currently is not the fault of anyone. Maybe the success that GLBasic is.  :good:

Owlcat has wise

Ian Price

I've seen this elewhere and tbh their forums are such a mess (look at GP32X.com for a prime example where there are too many different forums due to the number of machines supported). I'm not in favour of this as while GLB is a muli-format langauge most code isn't generally machine specific. Sure there are a couple of things for iPhone (like iAd as previously mentioned), but 99% of everything else IS generic. If someone writes a post with hardware specific code it might be better just to make sure the topic title is very clear so that it can be found in SEARCH (I know it's not great, but it's not rubbish either).

The forums may well be seen as disorganised, but tbh they're not really. And most code posted is either as help or as part of a tutorial, so end up in those relevant sections anyway.

It's certainly something to think about though.
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

Does the forum software support tags?
In vbulletin there's an option to add any tag to any post, which is then considered when searching.
Currently, there's a lot of very useful device-specific info scattered throughout the forums and we really need something to organize it. Either tags, sticky posts or someone who is willing to collect all the the data into some kind of help/wiki.

Ian Price

QuoteEither tags, sticky posts or someone who is willing to collect all the the data into some kind of help/wiki.
Well volunteered that man! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Mar-26
If someone writes a post with hardware specific code it might be better just to make sure the topic title is very clear so that it can be found in SEARCH (I know it's not great, but it's not rubbish either).

I think this is great.
I remember sometime ago searching the forum for something I knew was there but could not get to it quickly. at the time I thought it would be quicker to ask again on a new post...

Topics made in a methodological way, clear and following a specific structure could make it easier, but then it also makes the experience a little boring...and takes out the thrills of forum hunt! :P

MrTAToad

Perhaps it might be best to put device specific code in the Wiki ?