Android NDK

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

I couldn't get anywhere with using the Android NDK - the amount of software you need to download before you can even start is daft...

Got the Java SDK working fine, but the NDK part is a mess - and you still need to use Java anyway...

Hatonastick

Hmm, I think I'll be skipping Android then.  Java is one of my least favourite programming languages.  Used it, don't like it. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Kitty Hello

a true shame.

MrTAToad

It makes Apple's Provisioning system seem like child's play... =D

Ian Price

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-21
It makes Apple's Provisioning system seem like child's play... =D

Eek!
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Precisely!

You need to download a whole lot of cywin stuff, Eclipse, NDK and what not

Then you need to create an Android Java project and create C directory stuff in that...

Compiling is DOS only too...

Its possible, of course, someone braver would be able to get a C program compiled for Android :)

Hatonastick

It's kind of scary that the (predicted) next big mobile OS could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare to program things for.  Or at least set things up to program for.

Kitty Hello

It's not that bad if you go the nice way and develop in Java, only. The NDK makes things complicated I think.

I've seen that they ported ScummmVM to Android, using libSDL and the NDK, obviously. Might be worth taking a look.

MrTAToad

Its possible other people will have more luck :)

FutureCow

It's a pity it's $350US a year - http://anscamobile.com/corona/ - or else this looks like it would be a great tool for iPhone and Android app creation.

FutureCow

Oooh! Just found this - what about using a scripting language like Perl or Javascript to build for Android! As I know Perl (but not Java), I'll be looking into this!!!
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

Hatonastick

Hmm now that would have me interested.  I'll take things like Perl or Python over Java any day of the week.

garyk1968

Hi guys

I've been playing with corona for a while now (I got in at the beta stage when it was $99) and the android support is lagging behind iphone somewhat. That said it is improving all the time but if your main target is Android its probably not quite ready for primetime.

I maninly target iphone and for that its pretty good. I'm looking for a decent game development platform for iphone and really not sue what to go with. I've done 4 apps on the app store, all utilities so have somewhat gone through the objC pain but game development is something else which I guess is why I'm here, weighing up glbasic vs corona or to put it another way use basic which I used for years in the late 80s/early 90s or Lua which I hadn't even heard of until 6 months ago!

Another thing you might want to check out is google app inventor, abit noddy but a drag drop system for building apps.

Gary