Wishlist

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Its that time of the year for a GLBasic wish list :)

I've listed things in the order of how nice they would be to have (Very Nice, Nice and Only If Gernot Has Nothing Better To Do) :

Very Nice :

• Update the compiler (GCC/MinGW), especially for Linux.
  • Update the headers - especially the Linux ones
  • Constants in DATA statements
  • Integrated TTF Fonts
  • Automatic centering of a Windows and Linux window
  • Get current desktop screen width and height
  • Add versioning information

Nice :

• Integrated mySQL
  • OpenAL support
  • Ability to scale text fonts - both horizontally and vertically
  • Intergrated unicode support
  • Get list of available resolutions

Only If Gernot Has Nothing Better To Do :

• Might be worth looking at a Mac and Linux version (perhaps using Code::Blocks)

I'll add more things when I can think of them :)

MrTAToad

SQLite would do just as well...

FutureCow

Here's my list (of course, I've got more in the suggestions forums, but these are my top priority ones that I'd like to see).

Before people reply back - yes I know for some of what I've listed there are already ways to do these things (like freeing up image memory), and yes I know I can write my own functions to do them, but in these instances I think there should be dedicated commands in the basic command set to do these things. It's all about the language being intuitive.

Very Nice
- Decouple the primary display from the debugger so that you can step through your code and still alt-tab to the output window of your program
- Change to the IDE window so you can see both the contents of the files tab and the jumps tab at the same time
- Additional functionality for the jumps tab so it can list every function in every file in the project (so you don't have to hunt around trying to find which file a function is in so you can go edit it, one click and it changes to the correct file and opens the correct function)
- Inbuilt support for variable width bitmap fonts

Nice
- A dedicated free image memory command (and for freeing any other resources (3d objects, sounds etc)).
- A dedicated "draw subset of image command"
- Code folding in the IDE
- Basically any command in the Blitz3D command set that there isn't an equivalent in GLBasic (WITHOUT using inline) for yet  =D

Oh and a "Fix My Game And Make It Work" button  8)

matchy

And a partridge in a pear tree!  :whistle:

codegit

SQLite would be nice  :good:
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

FutureCow

Quote from: matchy on 2009-Dec-17
And a partridge in a pear tree!  :whistle:

What? Only one? How will the 12 lords a leaping share just one single partridge? And don't even get me started on how 6 geese can possibly lay 5 golden rings!

Kitty Hello

FutureCow

*LOL* Well it is entitled wishlist   :D

MrTAToad

Sorting out the Linux requirements is important as currently installing the required stuff is a bit complicated O_O

Once done, Linux programs could then then be put in packages, which will be handy for easy installation.

Kitty Hello

I have a libstdc++.a now. I will try to statically link it next version.

ksin

Hatonastick

Wouldn't be surprised if it's good, as it looks like the same mob behind LUA.  For the uninitiated, LUA is a script language engine used in a heck of a lot of commercial and hobby projects over the years including quite a few commercial games.

Pity I don't program anymore as I'd be very interested in this product as most cross-platform UI engines are a pain to add due to clunky APIs.  Then theres the fact that most are in C++ and I'm a little old-school and prefer the procedural C to OOP thanks. :)

Kitty Hello

If they provide a simple language, why not a direct C++ interface but their own compiler. You can do everything you do with that language in pure C++, too (mostly).
A native gui would be nice, I know. :(

MrTAToad

Well, when you have some free time... :whip:

WPShadow

Some small/Mini SQL is enough for me!  :good:
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est