Problem with opening the helpfile

Previous topic - Next topic

Moru

I'm having troubles opening the helpfile from GL-Basic, nothing happens. So I tried opening it from the explorer shell and then I get the errormessage:

Quotehh.exe - Entrypoint not found
The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

And an OK button. I get this message twice before it gives up.

Windows says I have this version of the file:
7.0.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)

Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong? This is after reinstalling Windows XP and SP3 but I haven't used the help for a while so don't know when it started.

Moru

I found a page that said what files are belonging to the helpsystem and copied them from the old installation. These are the files you need to copy if you have the same trouble:

Just look for where they are on your system and replace them.

Code (glbasic) Select
hhctrl.ocx
itss.dll
itircl.dll
hh.exe
hhctrlui.dll

Kitty Hello

Thanks. Maybe one should upload them to somewhere?

Moru

Not sure how legal that is but I can upload them if you want.

Hemlos

I had this same problem a long time ago.
hh.exe is what fixed it.
Im having the same problem again.

Where did you upload these files to?
Can you put a link to them here in this topic please?

I get an error with msvcrt.dll when i click the help file. window title is hh.exe

-Hemlos
Here is a screenshot im attaching to this message:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Hemlos

The problem is windows xp sp3...i went back to sp2 and its fine now.

Moru

I'm running SP3 without problems after copying those files from my old SP2 install

Hemlos

Quote from: Moru on 2008-Aug-05
I'm running SP3 without problems after copying those files from my old SP2 install

Doesnt matter how you fixed it for sp3, the help file system is simply enough not compatible with sp3.

Maybe microsoft will make yet another update...who knows. Very unprofessional imo

Moru

I would love HTML-help instead of this, more futureproof you can't get it. But it has to be offline, I don't want to be dependant on internet for getting help on a command.

Kitty Hello

uhm!? You want the help file to be different?

Moru

I preffer HTML help since it's more future proof, not dependant on what OS i'm running at the moment. Sure, the F1 function is usefull but since I need to press enter to get the article after that it's not that much you loose.

Hemlos

Quote from: Moru on 2008-Aug-07
I preffer HTML help since it's more future proof, not dependant on what OS i'm running at the moment. Sure, the F1 function is usefull but since I need to press enter to get the article after that it's not that much you loose.

I agree, it is a better standard in programming technology imo....html
Maybe you can put the html, for offline use with the SDK install?  =D

MrTAToad

What happens is that a program uses the Vista version of MSVCRT and replaces the one in SYSTEM32 - which, whilst fine on Vista machines, doesn't exactly work well with XP.

I've recently had this (its knocked out CHM viewer and my sound manager).  I do suspect that GLBasic was the cause unfortunately - so it might be worth checking to make sure that uses the correct version of MSVCRT.  However, saying that, it can be caused by a wide variety of other programs too.

Fortunately, trying a SFC /scannow seems to have fixed it.

Kitty Hello

No, I'm not overwriting msvcrt.dll it a newer version is installed - and I install a quite old one (IIRC).
Will have to see again, though.

MrTAToad