selling statistc

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

ah. You think?

OpenFeint _does_ enable Facebook for you. So, we have to update that.

Leginus

BumbleBomber has not done very well to what I thought it might.  I have sold about 71 copies in about 2 weeks :(
However it is on numerous hacking download sites and has hundreds of downloads.  I don't know if i should be unhappy or take it as a compliment lol

PercyCute has over 4000 downloads, but a high percentage of those are from when I changed it to free.

I never expected either app to sell loads, as they were both quick apps just to get used to the app coding and releasing process and to give ourselves a bit of marketing.  The next app is also a qiuck app for marketing.  However, the one after that which is still currently being concepted by the guy who does game design for me is much bigger and I hope has some success.

At the end of the day, I would be programming whether for profit or for fun, so anything that I make is a bonus.

trucidare

Wow ... never expected these amount of sells. So who buy me a Airbus A380?
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Gary

My app has been on about a year now and I started off at £1.19 for a week and it didnt really sell, dropped it to 59p and it has been a steady seller brining in about £700 in a year after Apple have had their cut. This is despite me not updating the app (having troubles getting the new version up :( ) and it being a pretty niche market my app is aimed at (a UK fruit machine)

ampos

I have received 2 emails from companies that "promotes" apps:

1.- Fixed price, around $400. They re-design the app description and sent app review to around 400 web sites, hoping their editors put on the ewview on the sites. He even pays back if sales do not grow to $400 in a month.

2.- Promotion in a percentaje per sale. Not more info, as they want to call me by phone.

Anyone knows if this would really help (I know that my current apps will not benefict a lot, but...)?
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Slydog

I would consider the 1st option only if the company has great reviews from past customers.
It sounds kind of 'scammy' by saying they'll send it to 400 web sites for reviews.
If they have a history / reputation with those web sites then ya, sounds like a good deal.
I'd rather they send it to only 4 review sites if they have any influence!

But if those 400 web sites are just a list of reviews sites he downloaded from somewhere, the only value we be that it saves you from submitting to them yourself.  (But still might be worth it if you have more money than  time!).

Even option 2 wouldn't be bad if you didn't want to fork over $400, but I'd want to be pretty sure they can actually market your game better than yourself, or know people, etc.  Your game could be a hit and then you'd own them a percentage, but maybe they really didn't do anything that contributed to the success.

I'm guessing my game will be done in a month or two, and I'm also thinking about advertising / promotion.  I have a bit of money I'd be willing to invest if I feel it's invested wisely.  But $800 for an ad on a review site would only be worth it if people actually bothered to click the ad.  The best promotion is getting reviewed, but that's not something you can buy (or is it? ha).
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

matchy

Wow...all these finance figures are making my head spin.  :sick: Do we have enough to chip in for an Airbus A380?  :whistle:

Kitty Hello

$400 with a payback option if sales don't exceed $400 sounds pretty sane to me. I mean - what have you got to lose there?

Slydog

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Dec-10
$400 with a payback option if sales don't exceed $400 sounds pretty sane to me. I mean - what have you got to lose there?

I was thinking the same thing, except it sounds like most other products with a money back guarantee.  If the company sounds trustworthy and you think they would honor that deal, then sure, I'd go for it too.  Was there any fine print to that offer?

Ampos: Are you willing to tell us who they are?  Did you ask for information from them, or did they just blindly email you from an email list?

erico

Quote from: matchy on 2010-Dec-10
Wow...all these finance figures are making my head spin.  :sick: Do we have enough to chip in for an Airbus A380?  :whistle:

You won't believe! I had an idea for an i-pad game and told a few companies about...
...one of them bought it for several thousand millions so I just though I would by an a320 and have it go all over the world picking up all of us forum users for a first GLBASIC party/convention!

Unfortunantly, like, as you can see on the pic, they forgot to remove the a320 logo off the plane, it really pissed me off I told them to go back to factory and report when they get the painting job done correctly...

you can't really trust these a320 factories!   :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

matchy

Then the A320 went to city to city with GLB users, stopping off at the annual convention and selling ideas (not apps) to investors. Sweet!  :zzz:

Leginus

lol nice picture  :D

erico

Quote from: Slydog on 2010-Dec-10
But if those 400 web sites are just a list of reviews sites he downloaded from somewhere, the only value we be that it saves you from submitting to them yourself.  (But still might be worth it if you have more money than  time!).

I agree and am not too found of this type of company.
If an average success is to be found there, I think they would hire or buy the programs in the first place.
This is all too new market for someone to come up with this "advertise" stuff.
Only my opinion though, I would send my games to reviews and sites myself...

or someone on the forum could put up a site for apps review? and we could benefit from a straight channel.
Something similar to the thread people release their app,,, just a thought.

ampos

Quote from: Slydog on 2010-Dec-10
Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Dec-10

I was thinking the same thing, except it sounds like most other products with a money back guarantee.  If the company sounds trustworthy and you think they would honor that deal, then sure, I'd go for it too.  Was there any fine print to that offer?

Ampos: Are you willing to tell us who they are?  Did you ask for information from them, or did they just blindly email you from an email list?

Sorry for the delay.

Here you have the web:

http://www.mobile-app-marketing-makeover.com/

For my, that I have a full-day work, and only program on my (little) spare time, will pay for someone to promote my app on so many sites. 400$ per 400 web pages? Perhaps a bit expensive.

The only concern is if that guy (or any other company) will do the job they are talking about really, and not just getting $400 for sending the promotion to only a few sites.

I will pay for a serious job, but not for being cheated.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Slydog

I read over his entire web site and I now like his pitch, he sounds genuine and not very 'scammy'.
$497 for what he does is a great deal.

What you are paying for is his marketing skills at writing "persuasive copy" (as he puts it) for the iTunes game listing, plus a "carefully crafted press release".  He claims to spend about 2 days per client and has previous experience doing this with other top iPhone developers.

Consider his web site as part of his 'portfolio'.  After reading it, do you feel compelled to use his service?  If so, he may have the ability to convert potential customers into paying customers.  Plus get the review sites to actually review your game.

I think I'll trust him with my $497 and give him a try.
Otherwise I'd still have to research review sites, plus create a press release, then manually submit it to each site.
But that wont be for a month or two.