Server change

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Our webhoster quits. I have time to the end of 2019 to move to another hoster.
I amy very anxious about the email/https certificate after the move.
On the other hand, I can move to a hoster that cares about the linux backbone, so I don't have to care about this anymore. It caused my so much headache, since I'm a total noob when it comes to this.

Just wanted to let you know.
If anyone if good at that stuff, please let me know.
I would have to:
-move the php sites (easy)
-backup all email (4 accounts. I use thunderbird. I plan to pull them all local and then copy back. Would that be OK?)
-move 3 data bases (yes, this forum too!). I have no idea, but I hope something like mysql-php offers that option...
-point the domains (3) to the new server (I hope that one is a quick one. My new hoster offers a GUI for that).
-What about the certificate for the https/email accounts?
-Anything I missed?

Hemlos

Quote-Anything I missed?

showroom?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

bigsofty

Will the current sites post be kept? Lots of handy stuff on here.  :P
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

Also check the php version of the new hoster.

Later versions can be incompatible when older features and some commands of php <5.x etc.

do a phpinfo() page on old and new hoster then compare for problematic differences e.g.

Code (glbasic) Select
<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

// Show just the module information.
// phpinfo(8) yields identical results.
phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

?>

You can compare them and have the new server as close as possible to the old one.
Changes can be added/edited to the php.ini file.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Marmor

If you Need some testspace on a extra Server sayit

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

SnooPI

Normally, if you have a good new hoster, he does it for you after giving him access to your account.

Kitty Hello

The site is now running on the new server. Test UTF-8: äöü

...somehow the old attachment images are broken!?

erico

I think posts from the past 1 or 2 weeks are not up, at least.
I checked some old heavy image threads, some have images but they look corrupt, others are fully broken.

erico

How is the transition going?
Is it safe now to post heavy image threads again?

About STEAM showcase, I have 3 more games (2 are free) that could be shown and another one coming up very soon (should be 1.99 for a while and then it will be free).
I thought about just posting on the GLBasic community area on steam but if any of the games show a gameplay different than what we already have on the showroom, it might help adding it as it may show future users certain style is possible.

I haven´t got the time yet to mess with the whole glb steam activity yet but will look into it these next months.