iPod Touch

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

I just bought one of those Apple doohickeys today, a Second Generation iPod Touch, so hopefully I haven't just shot myself in the foot.  Can I run anything done via GLB for it on there now (an example program someones done) or can I only run applications on it from the Apple store?  Might sound odd, but I don't really know much about the machine despite having bought one.

Edit: Just been downloading and reading the manual.  Interesting device.  Now downloading the freaking huge iTunes application that I'm sure to hate.  =D  You know, this is going to sound stupid, I thought the iPod Touch was just a glorified MP3 player that also played games.  Didn't realise that it's pretty much a PDA.  This has to be the least amount of research I've ever done on something before spending money on it.  I normally am very careful with money as I don't have a lot, however I'm serious about wanting to develop for the device and since no-one I know here has one I realised I'd have to splash out (even on the basic model) if I was to start.  Bit hard to develop for a device that you have no hands-on experience with I think.  Just took me by surprise as there's more to it than I first thought.  The next step after I get familiar with it will be trying to work out the cheapest way to get access to an iMac at home so I can compile GLB's output.  At least in that case I know a few people here in Adelaide that might be able to help.  Maybe.

The compiler you need to use on a MacOS X operating system, does it exist on both the Intel and the older chipset versions of the operating system?  Or just the newer Intel?  I may be able to get my hands on a pre-Intel ibook with OSX.

Edit #2: Wow...  You actually have to pay for an OS upgrade for your iPod Touch?  Way to go Apple, greed FTW (for the win)!  ;/

Uncle

Hi, if you want to compile apps for the iDevice then you will need an Intel Mac, unfortunately you can't compile on a PowerPC.  Mac Mini is probably your cheapest options.  I think you also need to be running OSX 10.5 and above.

Yep its much more than an mp3 player.  I hardly play music on my iPod.  I tend to use it more for apps, and watching movies on flights. 

Hatonastick

Ahh ok thanks.  That kills that idea stone dead. :)  Guess I'll have to save up for another computer.  Apple stuff is cheaper now than it's ever been but it's still far more expensive than most generic Windows PCs...

I'm currently feeling my way with the device still.  I also caved and bought the OS upgrade despite the fact that I probably don't need it (I should remove my credit card info before I cave in and buy other things I dont really need).  Been using the time while waiting for the 250Mb or so download to paddle through the store.  There sure is a lot of dross in the apps section isn't there.  Were your movies streamed via WiFi on the plane or was it stored on your iPod?  I haven't finished going through the manual (which I had to download as they supposedly no longer sell the device with a manual and software) yet and it shows. :)  Had a bit of a play earlier before starting the update and I'm pretty impressed with it.

BTW this question might have gotten lost in the original wall of text, but can I put applications on it to try without them having to be downloaded from the Apple store, or is that only possible if I hack the iPod first?

trucidare

You can change byte order in SDK installer package and install on PPC macs. google for it.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Uncle

Movies were already downloaded on the iPod.  I've been watching Lost for a few years now, so I load up a couple of episode when ever I travel.

To test apps on your device you will need a couple of things... first and yet more cost you will need an Apple Iphone dev account.  It costs about $99 per year and allows you to deploy your apps on your machine and/or the iTunes store.  And like I say unfortunately you will need to compile this code on an Intel Mac.  You can always develop and test your app on the PC using GLB and then port it across once you are far enough along.  The only thing you can't really do on the PC is simulate multi touch input.  

Sokurah

Also, you don't need a mac to compile projects. You can install OSX on a normal PC (if you can find a distribution that fits the hardware) and compile from that.

I have a HP Pavillion which I've installed OSX on. That's what I hope to use for development.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Uncle

Ok I stand corrected :)  It seems PPC or non apple Intel machines can be used  :whistle:  I guess I just prefer the easy and supported route.  Sokurah I would be interested to hear how you get on.    Does this mean we will get PPUXB on the iphone?

MikeHart

Are you you want to discuss illegal stuff here on a commercial support forum?

doimus

Deos anybody have any links to share on how to compile for iPhone on PPC Mac?

I already have this G4 Mini at home. I would save me some money if I didn't buy brand new Intel machine, and my significant other would be grateful as well.  =D

Sokurah

Quote from: Uncle on 2009-Aug-13
Sokurah I would be interested to hear how you get on.    Does this mean we will get PPUXB on the iphone?

No, PPUXB is done in BlitzMax so it won't be possible to port it to the iPhone but it does compile fine on OSX though. :)
...but it could work nicely with touch controls I think.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Billamu

I jumped on the iPhone developer bandwagon a month or two ago. I looked at all sorts of ways of developing quickly on the cheap.

The cheapest option I've found is to get either a Mac Mini or Macbook with an Intel chipset, then you have to pay the developer fee to get on the app store.

I considered turning my Netbook into a Hackintosh, but chose against it to protect myself from legal issues down the track, and technical issues arising from using non-standard gear.

With all that said, I'm now trying to nurse my credit card back to health. :D

I'm an Aries. I have lots of Ram.

Hatonastick

I guess saving up for the cheapest iMac I can find doesn't mean I cant work on my game while waiting, eh.  Man I love GLB! :good:

Just this past 24 hours (and a few downloads later, boy do the costs on the store stack up quickly -- the cheap prices lure you in I think) has been enough to see that although it's a really nice bit of kit, it does present its own set of interface difficulties to overcome ie. the touch and tilt interface. :)  Seem to be more than a few games out there that haven't really nailed that part.  Definitely going to be an interesting challenge all-round to be honest (not just the interface).

Hatonastick

Hrm, anyone else on here got an iPod Touch?  For some reason the glass covering the screen is slightly loose.  Well, ok it doesn't move/slide around or anything like that and it certainly has no issues as far as detecting touches etc. but it seems to move inwards and make a slight *click* noise if I push in certain places, almost as if the glue* they used to hold it together has come unstuck.  Not a huge deal but does take the shine off of the product a little...

* I'm kidding about the glue, I have no idea what they've used to hold the glass on, although it may be a form of glue or sealant.

Uncle

Ive got an iPod Touch and it doesn't do what you describe.  I don't have any clicking and it doesn't feel loose.  I've never heard of this before, though describing how something feels in writing can be difficult.  Is yours new?  If so I would perhaps take it back to the shop and ask to compare it with others they have there. 

Hatonastick

I only found out that others have had the problem by searching on Google.  Seems to be (only) second generation iPod Touch, not first generation or iPhone -- if it happens at all and most people don't have that problem thankfully.  Yeah I've got the Apple warranty and the extended replacement warranty (which doesn't happen until the Apple warranty runs out) so I might just leave it for now.  Only just got it and don't to be waiting weeks before I get it back. :)  The iPod works fine other than that, no problems with it sensing touch etc.

Edit:  Totally off-topic but I love some of the games Ive downloaded/bought.  Wolfenstein RPG is a lot more fun than I thought.  Basically a Dungeon Master version of Wolfenstein.  Controls work better on some games than others.  Sometimes think people haven't spent enough time working out control schemes for their games.  Offering options as to how to control the game is a big plus too.  All due to the lack of any real buttons and people making 'virtual joysticks' and the like, adds to the complexity of designing a decent UI for a game.  Probably why there are a lot of good puzzle games (basically just click, or click and drag like a mouse) as opposed to shooters (pretend this bit of screen here is a joystick and ummm...).

Edit 2: Actually two other things I've noticed.  Firstly I swear mine is using battery power even when turned off.  Secondly battery power doesn't seem to last all that long.  Maybe 5 hours or so.  Mind you most of that time has been spent playing games, so that's probably why. :)  The power loss while turned off is a worry, if indeed that is what is happening.  Going to charge it then leave it off for a while and see if there's any change.